Gourami had big lump

Issues, feedback & suggestions for the forum and main website.

Gourami had big lump

Postby SamJ » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:45 pm

Hi everyone, one of my Gourami's has a huge lump on it's side. It's swimming and eating fine.
I think it may be a tumour. Do you think it will die naturally?
Is there anything I can do to help it?
Many thanks
SamJ

Re: Gourami had big lump

Postby Rockfish » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:25 pm

It does sound like a tumour, if it's an isolated bulge pushing out from the body. It could be a benign rather than malignant growth and many fish can continue normally for some time with such growths. It depends whether it starts to press on internal organs as it expands. If the fish eventually becomes unable to swim and eat normally, there may come a time when it is better to euthanize it.
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

Postby SamJ » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:48 pm

Thank you Sean. Today it looks a little smaller. I did a water change at the weekend, so I am hoping he's happier.
He seems ok. I'll keep an eye on him.
Is it possible it could reduce in size? What would be the kindest way to euthanise if necessary?
Sam
SamJ

Postby Rockfish » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:48 pm

It is possible it could shrink back if it's benign.

If euthanisation did become necessary, then clove oil (as used for tooth pain, etc and available from the chemist) is the most humane. There are varied dosing instructions to be found on the web, but basically you place the fish in a container and add drops until the fish is anaesthetised and rolls over. Then add several more drops and it will put the fish under permanently. When all gill movement has stopped, the fish can be put in the freezer overnight to make sure the its definitely gone.
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

Return to Forum and Website Feedback