Some notes on Apistogramma and Rams

Discussions on this fascinating and diverse group of fishes...

Some notes on Apistogramma and Rams

Postby Apistogramma » Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:18 pm

Some of my observations concerning Apistogramma and Rams.

Apistogramma don't acclimatise well to a new tank if they are adults and as they are short lived I believe they are healthiest if they stay in the same home once they are fully grown.

Juveniles do very well, I have never lost a juvenile Apistogramma yet, they seem much more adaptable.

Apisto's need lots of cover and things to break their line of sight to feel safe, they can be quite hard to feed so they benefit from target feeding.

Apisto's need a very varied diet and plenty of good quality food to bring out their best colours. The wild caught and F1 forms especially, they are hardier and wonderful to see when in good condition.

Apisto's can be kept in pairs but are much easier to keep in small groups as they settle much more quickly and establish a species territory in community tanks.

Apisto's make good parents!

Rams/Butterfly Cichlids (German/African/Bolivian). These fish are more aggressive, needing space and preferably pairs or larger groups to negate or spread aggression.

Again the younger they are the better they adapt. They need very clean water to survive and even cleaner to breed and raise fry. They will not survive in bad quality water and need plenty of good quality food.

The German Rams are not great parents, African Butterfly's are much better and share the parenting. Bolivian's I haven't managed to get breeding yet.

All these fish need excellent quality water just to survive - if they are surviving then the chances are the water quality is good enough for them to breed. Do not mix them with any other more aggressive fish as they will soon be bullied, stressed and eventually die.

Happy fish keeping!
Becky

*Aimlessly drives around in the steam roller with Karena's now fairly blunt scissors...and Lisa's hedge trimmer*

Apistogramma

Postby David » Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:36 pm

Would it be better if this was put in the cichlid section?
David

Postby Angel Fish » Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:46 pm

:? :oops:
All the advice I give is based on my own personal 30 years of experience.
Main TT Page
Diabetes Forum
Angel Fish

Postby Apistogramma » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:53 pm

Oh!!! I have a sticky!!! I'm so proud! :mrgreen:
Becky

*Aimlessly drives around in the steam roller with Karena's now fairly blunt scissors...and Lisa's hedge trimmer*

Apistogramma

Postby Angel Fish » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:55 pm

I think it deserves a "Sticky" :mrgreen:
All the advice I give is based on my own personal 30 years of experience.
Main TT Page
Diabetes Forum
Angel Fish

Postby calsonic » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:30 pm

is there a dwarf version and will they beokay in my tanks when i sought my nitrate isues out? i have a ph of about 8
Ask any racer, any real racer. It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile; winning's winning.
calsonic

Postby Apistogramma » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:00 pm

These species are all dwarf cichlids. Rams locally bred in your area may be adjusted to your pH but I very much doubt you will find any apistogramma that will survive for long. What else do you have in your tanks? Rams are only aggressive when breeding and need relatively peaceful tankmates. They need clean, clean water too.
Becky

Apistogramma

Postby calsonic » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:44 pm

gouamis,angels,swordtails,clowns,bleading hearts,plattys,molies glowlights bumblbees and a gibbeyceps
Ask any racer, any real racer. It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile; winning's winning.
calsonic

Postby Apistogramma » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:59 pm

I'm surprised the gouramis and angels aren't fighting. :? Clown Loaches need to be in a minimum of 7' tank in a group. I wouldn't risk Rams with your fish mix to be honest, bolivian rams maybe but only if you have room, which I doubt?
Becky

Apistogramma

Postby moonstomp » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:40 pm

can you keep a pair of rams and a pair apistogrammas together in juwel 125 aquarium
moonstomp

Postby Apistogramma » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:26 pm

Yes so long as the tank is cycled, has the correct water parameters (pH, kh, gh), plenty of plants/hidey holes for spawning and territory. What apisto's are you thinking of??
I'm assuming by rams you mean blue's rather than bolivians? Although my bolivians never bother the apisto.
Becky

Apistogramma

Postby dw » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:47 am

Feel free to correct me on this Becky, but two pairs in a 30" long tank seems a bit much?
Andy
dw

Postby Apistogramma » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:02 pm

Andy...don't forget the apisto's are usually less than 2" full grown and females smaller. In my experience they don't interact with fish outside their own species apart from to defend the spawning site, which is very small. The rest of the time they ignore all other species in the tank.
I have never experienced aggression between apisto's and rams but I imagine a bare tank would cause trouble. Providing territory, hiding places and spawning cones etc is important as they won't usually breed without a safe site anyway.
Becky

Apistogramma

Postby dw » Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:02 pm

Thanks for your explanation! I'm not into apistos really but ime with other dwarfs the tank would be too short for two pairs, oh well learn something new everyday :)
Andy
dw

Postby Apistogramma » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:38 pm

That's part of the appeal of apisto's...you should keep some they're addictive... :mrgreen:
Becky

Apistogramma

Next

Return to Cichlids