Some notes on Apistogramma and Rams

Discussions on this fascinating and diverse group of fishes...

Postby moonstomp » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:36 pm

yes my tank is cycled i was thinking of cockatoo's but to be honest they are all pretty attravtive i don't mind really
moonstomp

Postby Apistogramma » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:32 pm

I would recommend Cockatoo or Macmasters as your first as the tank bred stock are hardy and easy to raise and breed which is a lot more fun than getting something with a more particular requirement that may die on you (and cost quite a bit too).
Becky

*Aimlessly drives around in the steam roller with Karena's now fairly blunt scissors...and Lisa's hedge trimmer*

Apistogramma

Postby moonstomp » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:07 pm

thank you for your help much appreciated :D
moonstomp

Postby calsonic » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:29 pm

i had a pair of yellow rams in a rekord 96 with some guppys one being male and one female anyway the female died this morning and im planning on getting a partner for the male because i think they were old breeding stock from one of my not so good lfs wich i dont go to anymore anyway if i do gett one will there be trouble with territorys and will he acept her presance?
Ask any racer, any real racer. It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile; winning's winning.
calsonic

Postby Apistogramma » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:29 pm

What did she die of? How long have you had them? Obviously you don't want to introduce another fish until you are sure of the cause.

Rams will form pairs and breed when they are young, as they get older they become more 'incompatible'.
They like their space but with just two in your tank you shouldn't have a problem assuming you only have guppies with them. Even if they don't pair up you shouldn't have trouble so long as you have lots of things to break their line of sight to each other, bogwood, plants, ornaments etc although he may chase her about initially.
You might also find it is harder than you think to find a healthy female for sale, most are kept by breeders.
Becky

*Aimlessly drives around in the steam roller with Karena's now fairly blunt scissors...and Lisa's hedge trimmer*

Apistogramma

Postby calsonic » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:27 pm

she was fairly old i was sold her for one pound as she was old breeding stock she didnt look very well when i got her bust she perked up i had her for about three months i bought him from a diffrent shop later when i desided to put them in with the guppys i was trying to breed so im hopping they will pair up if i get another one
Ask any racer, any real racer. It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile; winning's winning.
calsonic

Postby Apistogramma » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:45 pm

If he is doing well and seems happy enough then go for it...you can but try! Hope it goes well and you get a pair!
Becky

Apistogramma

ram cichlids

Postby moonstomp » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:03 pm

sounds silly but can rams change sex i bought a male and a female but they seem to be squaring up to each other a lot more and the female seems to have changed its appearence slightly ?
moonstomp

Postby Apistogramma » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:56 pm

No they don't, it may be your female was sexed wrongly and was simply younger though. A picture would help me identify them for you.
Becky

Apistogramma

Postby moonstomp » Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:52 am

ok thanks ill try sort a pic out
moonstomp

Postby moonstomp » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:39 pm

hi struggling with pics any info on how to get pics on here thanks
moonstomp

Postby Apistogramma » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:40 pm

If you go to photobucket.com you can upload pics and then copy and paste the link on here.
Becky

Apistogramma

Postby bangme33 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:06 pm

:) hiya ppl
iam looking for a male apist agazzi to go with my female which was sold to me as a cockatoo. ive got a 100l tank with mainly tetra's,
my ph is 5.0
ammonia 0.0
nitrate is 0.5
nitrite is 0.1
iam unable to raise my ph ,no matter the water changes,and theres plants and wood in there ,the fish that are in there seem happy enough eating and playing around.
so is it worth tring to change it
thxs :) :) [/b]
bangme33

Postby Liakern » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:47 pm

Nitrite needs to come down before you add anymore fish... How long this tank bein up and running?

it be easy enough to raise ph... just put a small peice of lime stone in thereph will rise slowly. But if the fish are fine then not so sure if its wirth changin the ph
here we go again
Liakern

Postby bangme33 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:12 pm

hi again ppl :D :D
managed to sort that nitrite out
ph 5.0
ammonia 0.0
nitrite0.0
nitrate0.5
deffo thinking about a male aggy for my female
or a pair of yellow borellies not decided
what do you think