Balloon rams fighting....

Discussions on this fascinating and diverse group of fishes...

Balloon rams fighting....

Postby paule » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:35 pm

Hi all, I have acquired another tank and have some corys and neons in it. I have just bought two balloon rams, they are absolutely gorgeous!!

They were ok for a few days whilst settling in, and seemed to enjoy each others company, but now they seem to be fighting every time they see each other! I asked for a male and a female and I'm pretty sure that's what they are but still struggling to sex them properly.

They are fine with the other fish, but seem to be very territorial amongst themselves. The tank is well planted and all the levels are fine.

Does anyone know how to properly sex these fish? and does anyone have any similar problems, and any ideas on what I can do to help them get along a bit better?

I love them to bits and hate to see them fighting, I don't want anything to happen to either of them!

Help please!!

Paula
paule

Re: Balloon rams fighting....

Postby markee » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:34 pm

As you are starting to find out Cichlids have a level of aggression with them, some species more than others but it also comes down to the indivual personality as well, in that one indivual may be more aggressive than another. Most Cichlids also require territories & yours fall into that group, the reason they were ok at first is because the tank & everything in it was all new to them, now they are settled they are trying to establish territories. Breaking the line of sight with plants & decor will help, as will a few hiding places but a lot of it comes down to the size of your tank, if it's small then the chances are one will claim the whole tank!

Sexing is much like the German blues.

MALES - They are normally larger, The 1st 3 spikes of the dorsal fin are much longer. The Pelvic, anal and caudal fins will be longer too. As for the black dot on the side, the males might have a dot or they might not. The males dot will have more Blue in the black.
FEMALES- Smaller, like the Blue Rams they too get pink bellies, this can been seen at a young age. They lack the very spiky dorsal fin and tend to be smaller. The females black spot is a solid black no blue in it like with the males.
markee

Re: Balloon rams fighting....

Postby paule » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:12 pm

Thanks for the info markee, I've had a really close look at them - one is definitely male, the other still not 100% sure!

The one I'm not sure about sex wise is definitely bullying the other and crossing territories, so he probably is a male.

The fish shop will be happy for me to exchange one of them so that might be the best way to go, will pop along tomorrow.

Thanks!

Paula
paule

Return to Cichlids