what cichlids should i get

Discussions on this fascinating and diverse group of fishes...

what cichlids should i get

Postby 108scottb » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:07 pm

Hi all,im looking to get a couple of decent sized cichlids for my rio 240,dont want anything to aggressive,they will be in a tank with a gibbiceps plec,two 3 spot gourami,a red finned shark and a pair of gold rams,i moved the rams from my rio 180 as they were getting aggressive towards the 2 young firemouths i have in there,i was thinking about some angels but some people say they are aggressive and some say they are good community fish,also like blue acaras but a bit unsure of their temperament. Thanks scott
juwel rio 240- community
juwel rio 180- community
nova 60ltr- community
marina 50ltr-community
definately no shrimps,frogs or snails! :)
108scottb

Re: what cichlids should i get

Postby J.abbott » Sun May 20, 2012 10:46 pm

Avoid the acaras! if you want peace they dont play nice! Angels would be good but I'm not a fan.
Rainbow cichlids are nice, maybe some bigger firemouths if you can find them ( they are more boisterous but dont normally cause damage just chase)
look through the cichlids ( south american) section of the main site it sould help you pick :)
J.abbott

Postby cousin it » Sun May 20, 2012 11:55 pm

the temprament of angels can vary greatly I had 1 group that would try to kill anything that went near to them even when they were not spawning where as my current group are very placid towards other tankmates even when they have broods, one of the main things with angels is not to add less than 6 to a tank if you want a peaceful group, in a similar manner to tiger barbs I have found that in smaller groups ( my previous one was a group of 4 ) they tend to be agressive towards others but in a larger group any agression is kept in the group, they are cichlids after all :rofl:
Any lower level spawning species like acaras, firemouths ect will compete with the rams over potential spawning sites which is where the previous agression came from so other than adding more rams I would be wary of adding a different species.
Daran

there's always one
cousin it

Postby scottb » Tue May 22, 2012 8:58 pm

well i ended up getting angels(before i read your posts)iv put 2 in my rio 180 community that also has the firemouths,no probs in there so far,and put 2 in my rio 240 that had the rams in but they are away now so no other cichlid species in there,i nearly bought blue acara on saturday but had a change of heart at the last minute thankfully,i was told that when buying angels its not a good idea to put a group together as 2 will pair up and kill the rest :? ,would love to have a group of 6 or so angels in my fluval roma 90 iv just set up but dont think it`s big enough,i`ll just hope the angels iv got are a good tempered lot :D
Juwel rio 240-american cichlids
juwel rio 180-community
Juwel rio 180 vision-community
fluval roma 90-community
aquastart 26ltr-betta
scottb

Return to Cichlids