can someone please give me some advice

Discussions on this fascinating and diverse group of fishes...

can someone please give me some advice

Postby anji78 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:21 am

i think this is a cichlid of some sort but not sure, he looks blue when the light is on. can anyone tell me what he actually is and give me any advice on giving him the best life? i think he was took to my local pet shop because he has a bit of a attitude he chases after my red tailed shark but he's faster and smaller so i rearranged the tank so he could hide,the shark still looks happy so im not worrying. The Cichlid seems happy eatting the plec wafers and some fish food but what else could i try feeding him? He diggs around in the stones at times spitting some at the glass is that normal or is it a sign of stress? he also swims against the glass sometimes back and forwards so fast that he looks like he's trying to get away from something! someone please help im worryed ive took on a really nice fish that could end up belly up :(
1 Redtail Shark
1 Albino Plec
2 Apple Snails

4 foot tank, think its about 182L
anji78

Re: can someone please give me some advice

Postby Carylnz » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:29 am

It is a giraffe hap, Nimbochromis venustus, an African cichlid from Lake Malawi, so not usually found in a community tank because of its pH requirements.
Size: Average adult size: 10" (25 cm) in captivity, larger in nature.
Tank: Min. Tank requirements: 48" inches in length
PH: PH recommendation 7.5 to 8.6
Hardness: Hardness: 12-30 dH
Temperature: 78°F to 84°F (25°-30° C)

Digging in the stones is natural behaviour. It is a mouthbrooder too.
They need to be fed properly to avoid Malawi bloat. They will lie in the sand, partially covered, playing dead. When a smaller fish comes to "taste" the "dead" fish, it jumps to life to eat it. If you have smaller fish in the tank, they will be eaten. They are moderately aggressive usually but get very aggressive when spawning.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby anji78 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:27 am

Thank you for your advice I will keep a close eye on my Ph levels and there's no little fish in the tank so there's none for him to eat. What sort of food should I be feeding him? :D
1 Redtail Shark
1 Albino Plec
2 Apple Snails

4 foot tank, think its about 182L
anji78

Postby Carylnz » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:20 am

They can be fed a combination of pellets, flakes, and live or frozen food, although once they reach 8cm or so, flakes are too messy and should be discontinued.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Return to Cichlids