Red Oscar & Firemouths

Discussions on this fascinating and diverse group of fishes...

Red Oscar & Firemouths

Postby jzaine » Wed May 09, 2012 6:28 am

Hi, It's been awhile since I've been on here. I just thought I would give an update on my tank. So here it is. :)

I'm still trying to find these two a new home so my Oscar can have the tank to himself but no luck as of yet. They coincide nicely; for now.

I do have a question. About a month ago I bought 10 feeder goldfish for my Oscar. Normally, he eats all 10 within a day or two. This time was different. He ate one here and there but I still have 3 left and they're continuing to grow. They're still small enough for him to eat but he doesn't bother with them. Anybody have any advice or should I find a home for the goldfish? Also, can i "get away with" keeping the firemouths in there for a bit longer as long as I have good filtration and continue to do weekly water changes?
"We feel your passion through and through, Philadelphia fans I love you." Harry kalas 1936-2009
jzaine

Re: Red Oscar & Firemouths

Postby scottb » Wed May 09, 2012 9:49 am

Totally disagree with feeder fish,just seems very cruel to me, there are plenty of foods out there that keep fish healthy rather than resorting to putting live fish through that,also the other problem could be the goldfish may be diseased,i know there will be people for and against this and i should say im not a vegetarian or anything but i just think that using feeder fish is just needless cruelty..... :(
Juwel rio 240-american cichlids
juwel rio 180-community
Juwel rio 180 vision-community
fluval roma 90-community
aquastart 26ltr-betta
scottb

Postby jzaine » Wed May 09, 2012 3:04 pm

For what it's worth, I only give him feeders once or twice a month. He usually eats cichlid pellets and the occasional frozen bloodworm. I've tried other foods and he spits them out or won't bother with it. If you have any suggestions I'd be more than willing to try it.
"We feel your passion through and through, Philadelphia fans I love you." Harry kalas 1936-2009
jzaine

Postby scottb » Wed May 09, 2012 4:46 pm

After a quick look on the net there seems to be plenty of choices,pellets and frozen food being the best choices it seems,all types of frozen food such as shrimp,bloodworms etc will be eaten(not sure what choice you have in the US) also any insects will be enjoyed,you say your oscar spits his food out if he doesnt like it,im sure if he's hungry enough he'll eat it! By the way it wasnt a personal attack and i understand your only trying to look after your fish,just something i totally disagree with
juwel rio 180-community
fluval roma 90-community
aquastart 26ltr-betta
scottb

Postby jzaine » Wed May 09, 2012 5:20 pm

The only frozen fish food I can get locally are bloodworms and brine shrimp. He won't even bother with brine shrimp. I also have a lizard so I could try feeding him some of the mealworms and crickets I get. I'm sure he'll
jzaine

Postby jzaine » Wed May 09, 2012 5:20 pm

The only frozen fish food I can get locally are bloodworms and brine shrimp. He won't even bother with brine shrimp. I also have a lizard so I could try feeding him some of the mealworms and crickets I get. I'm sure he'll eat them.
jzaine

Postby scottb » Wed May 09, 2012 7:48 pm

Im sure he will and theres probably less chance of disease unlike the goldfish, good luck :D
juwel rio 180-community
fluval roma 90-community
aquastart 26ltr-betta
scottb

Postby Carylnz » Wed May 09, 2012 10:37 pm

I understood that these days feeder goldfish are not recommended as they can carry diseases not usually found in tropical fish.
I wonder if he has got too lazy to chase the fish as he has grown and realises that most of the time fish appears that do not require any effort. If he is otherwise happy and acting normally I wouldn't worry about it.
Has he been watching a Finding Nemo DVD? Perhaps he heard Bruce "I am a nice shark, not a mindless eating machine. If I am to change this image, I must first change myself. Fish are friends, not food." :mrgreen:
How long they will all live in harmony is hard to say. Fins crossed you get them rehomed before someone becomes lunch. If he has started ignoring goldfish though you may have more time.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby jzaine » Thu May 10, 2012 3:57 am

I bought 5 rosy red feeders 2 weeks ago and they disappeared within an hour. Oddly enough he has never bothered with the juvenile meeki. The mother tends to chase her young but they generally stay on the opposite side of my Oscar. Who knows how long that will last. I may have found a home for him though so fingers crossed. Thanks for the help.
jzaine

Postby cousin it » Fri May 11, 2012 11:49 pm

my oscars used to love mealworms as a treat, it might be worth doing a search on google for beefheart recpies for food you can make for him yourself.
Daran

there's always one
cousin it

Postby jzaine » Sat May 26, 2012 2:55 pm

I've tried mealworms- he loves them but I would rather raise my own so I know exactly what they're eating before I give him anymore. I found frozen beefheart cubes at a local pet shop. He spit it out shortly after taking it in, but there's a good chance he wasn't really that hungry.
jzaine

Return to Cichlids