firemouth 55 gallon

Discussions on this fascinating and diverse group of fishes...

firemouth 55 gallon

Postby prowrestlingcarny » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:08 pm

Got a firemouth in a 55 gallon and has been there for about 4 months but wanted to add some more fish could any one give me some suggestions maybe more firemouths.
thanks
prowrestlingcarny

Re: firemouth 55 gallon

Postby fishypaul » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:22 pm

Funnily enough, i just added a 2" Firemouth to my 60 gallon which has Angels, Keyholes and Tetra's in. Perfectly fine so far, but i only added one partly because i don't have much space left but mainly because a breeding pair would cause havoc with my smaller fishes. I would suggest keeping as 1 if you want smaller fish in, or maybe add more with larger fish. They say 2 pairs make excellent watching for boundary disputes but i have no personal experience on that.
I think I would advise keeping as 1 and adding a couple of shoals of larger tetras, a few catfish and some similar sized (fairly peaceful) other cichlids such as angels or keyholes that i have.

You could also put with more agressive cichlids though if you wanted, like Jewels or Convicts as long as the firemouths are in first and are a decent size.
fishypaul

Postby normii » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:52 pm

I have a juvi firemouth (about 1'' 1/2 ) and I am in the same boat, I am not sure what to add! I only have the one as I was worried that a pair would get too territorial and fiesty. At the moment he is happy as, with a pair of angels, 2 torpedo barbs, and 4 big BA tetras. I want to add some colour though, and I don't know whats best!

I was looking at some of the dwarf cichlids, mainly labs and convicts, but I think these may be too aggressive? especially the convicts? I was considering a few bright platties / mollies if the other cichlids aren't possible. I was hoping if I buy these fairly large, they will grow with FM and hopefully be to big for him to consider as food when he gets bigger?

Does anybody have some ideas?
normii

Postby normii » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:09 pm

Or how about my original plan, bosemani rainbows??
normii

Return to Cichlids