angel fish acting strange

Discussions on this fascinating and diverse group of fishes...

angel fish acting strange

Postby ady » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:15 am

hi all.

since last nite one of my large angels has taken to swimming,nose up and holding position in the outflow of my filter.they are approx an inch from the outflow.seem to be "mouthing" at the water flow.

the filter is a fluval 405.been set up nearly 2 years.i did a 25 % water change last nite.but they still there.

water parameters as of a few mins ago are

ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 20 ..

really weird.never had any disease in tank since inception.no meds have been added.all other fish fine.

just wondering if anyone has experienced this before???

any help/advice welcome...

cheers ady :)
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Re: angel fish acting strange

Postby cousin it » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:35 am

I would keep an eye on them but I do notice my angels doing similar usually because they are attempting to eat bubbles of co2 entering the tank a bit like one of the fish from finding nemo, they also try to attack the bubbles in the bubble counter as a hint they would like more food.
Daran

there's always one
cousin it

Postby ady » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:54 am

stil the same...getting worried now

perhaps there is summin going on with the gills,not taking up enough oxygen or summin.

been like it all weekend now.

no other signs of stress in any other fish.just this angel hanging at 45-90 degrees to horizontal,right in the outflow...head up,fighting current.occasionally gets blasted backwards then goes right back into the flow again :? :o

http://youtu.be/c2YtCTd3pfQ
Last edited by ady on Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Postby ady » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:36 pm

here is a video of the current problem.it appearsto have gotten worse.....varies from upright nose swimming to swimming flat and horizontal in the flow.

thinking it maybe swim bladder problems,what do you think ???

any help will be gratefully taken.ifthis fish shows anymore signs of distress i may have to put it out of misery....cant see any animal suffer :cry:

video link posted in above post coz i'm a plum :rofl:
ady

Postby normii » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:15 pm

ahhh man, really not nice :-( does sound like swim bladder. Sure there are loads of ways and reasons they can get this.

I had an angel do this before, and I fed him some mashed up pea's. Helped him poo, and he was fine after. Might be worth a try? Good luck
normii

Postby ady » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:06 pm

thanks for reply.....

i do have a spare tank sitting doing nothing at the mo..mite put it there and try the peas..it does sound like a good initial therapy.

only prob is the only spare heater i have is 300w and the spare tank is 40 litre......dont wanna birds'eye them :wink:

:)
ady

Postby cousin it » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:07 pm

do you feed algae wafers to any of the fish in this tank?
Daran

there's always one
cousin it

Postby ady » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:02 pm

yes i do cuz........the angels do munch on them,feed em for clownies,cory's and ancistrus

why's that is it good idea or could be causing it ?
ady

Postby cousin it » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:10 pm

it is possible that they have caused it in this angel, I have seen discus suffer from very similar symptoms after eating algae wafers, usually they recover after a couple of days.
Daran

there's always one
cousin it

Postby ady » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:28 am

cheers cuz i will keep an eye on them.although it is distressing to watch the poor little fella.did a major water change last nite.and when the flow stopped the angel droped to the bottom of the tank.really is struggling to keep in a correct attitude in the water.....
ady

Postby ady » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:38 am

i think the angel is doomed....no longer in the outflow.they are resting at the bottom,tail down head up.

fast gill action..with his partner keeping guard....had not seen then eat for 5 days.....

no outward sign of problems,all other fish still active and fine....
ady

Postby cousin it » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:58 am

I would be tempted to dose the tank with some magnesium sulphate ( epsom salts ) in an attempt to shift the cause of the internal blockage, 1 teaspoon to roughly 40l of water should be sufficient to assist. dissolve the epsom salts into a cup of tank water and pour this into the tank, it might take several cups of tank water to fuly dissolve the salts but it can be worth the effort, it will cause no harm to any of your other fish or plants.
Daran

there's always one
cousin it

Postby ady » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:36 pm

thanks for reply cuz....unfortunatly i had to put him/her out of their misery.

rapid down turn thru out the day....it got to the point where it was only "swimming" in very short bursts.couldnt get more than a few inches and it was totally out of control...bouyancy totally gone.was even doing backward rolls and coming to rest on it's side and staying like that.as soon as it got exhausted it tumbled to the gravel.

very fast gill action.it was on it's way out.when i took it out with the net it didnt even flap.i kept in the net for a few minutes to observe it..(large net)...poor little thing couldnt even swim ina straight line 4 more than a few inches.

tried the pea route,but it didnt wanna know.

thanks for all the help and ideas tho....
ady

Return to Cichlids