gardneri anyone had any problems ?

Discussions on this fascinating and diverse group of fishes...

gardneri anyone had any problems ?

Postby WOOWOO » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:34 pm

just bought a male and female GARDNERI , heard mixed reviews ........from placid community fish to " ripped my tank apart " !! . theyre in with platys , guppies and cory's. any feedback welcome.....
WOOWOO

Re: gardneri anyone had any problems ?

Postby Carylnz » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:12 am

Assuming you mean Aphyosemion gardneri, I would not keep them in a community tank as they tend to be predatory and aggressive, especially when spawning. You may find slower moving fish missing tails, or with chunks out of them.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby WOOWOO » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:58 am

Two days after putting the Gardneri in I've had to take the male and female out ! they had shredded the guppies fins !!!!
WOOWOO

Postby markee » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:43 pm

It's a Killifish..................not a Cichlid :lol:

Found this, although i think you've already discovered it's not a community fish:

'This is a robust killi that can be kept with others, but is not a fish for the general community. Species that inhabit different levels of the tank than the killis make the best tankmates, such as Corydoras catfish, peaceful dwarf cichlids or Loricariids. Male F. g. gardneri are very aggressive towards one another and sufficient space must be provided if more than one is to be kept. Females should be kept in small groups of 2 or 3 per male as they may be harassed quite vigorously by the males'.
markee

Return to Cichlids