Will he calm down?

Discussions on this fascinating and diverse group of fishes...

Will he calm down?

Postby ChrisJ95 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:51 pm

Having put much research and much thought into the matter, and seeking advice from the lfs owner, I got a pair of rams.
Day 4 in the tank and have been totally passive to all other fish, however the male doesn't seem to like being around the female at all. If she comes into his little corner he will chase her wlaway, and although they can sometimes be near eachother, he will soon chase her again, and seeems to nip at her side.

I will also mention that she never hides away, swimming around freely despite the availability of hiding places. They were also in seperate tanks at the lfs.
At first I thought it may just be him being territorial but he shows no.aggression to anything else, only the female... Thanks for any advice from experienced keepers, , is he likely to calm down, or is it better if I try to exchange him?
ChrisJ95

Re: Will he calm down?

Postby markee » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:25 pm

Did you ask why they were in seperate tanks?

You can add a male & female together but it doesn't mean you'll have 'a pair' or that they will get along. You could just have a grumpy male that doesn't want a partner & he is just defending his territory, the fact that the female is swimming around & not hiding says to me he's not bullying her. Will he calm down? maybe, maybe not, cichlids have great character & don't always follow the 'golden rule' :lol: You could try replacing him but there are no guarantees the new male won't do the same thing. It could also be that he is ready to breed but she isn't.
markee

Re: Will he calm down?

Postby GB » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:45 pm

It could also mean you have 2 males. Who sexed them?
GB

Return to Cichlids