Texas cichlids

Discussions on this fascinating and diverse group of fishes...

Texas cichlids

Postby Neil P Skelding » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:31 pm

I'm thinking of getting 2 small Texas cichlids will they be ok with electric yellow labs cichlids? Thanks
Neil P Skelding

Re: Texas cichlids

Postby markee » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:04 pm

I wouldn't personally keep the two together, other than the water parameters being different, the Texas could grow to around 12 inches so you'd need a fairly largish tank, you may also find that some of the Labs start disappearing. The Texas will eat most types of food (including fish!), whereas mbuna prefer a low protein vegetable diet, if it's too meaty it can cause Malawi bloat.

Having a look around the net i found this pearler:
I have a 200 liter tank and in it I have a full grown texas ciclid. Everything I have heard about these fish says that they are extremely vicious, but I have found that to be untrue in my case. My texas is living in harmony with a full grown jack dempsey, a group of tiger barbs, three clown loaches, a large sail fin pleco and a pair of cats. The jack and texas are inseparable, making it a wonderful tank to watch.

Whilst i'm not doubting the fish get along, i'm guessing the harmony is down to the fact the fish can't move anywhere to fight!!
markee

Return to Cichlids