Breeding advice please.

Discussions on this fascinating and diverse group of fishes...

Breeding advice please.

Postby dogfish » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:02 pm

My mbuna have started to breed,i have a female that is carrying,i would like ID help with her and the male please,should i put her into a net breeding trap or into a 30lt tank that i have got comming next week. Stu

dogfish

Re: Breeding advice please.

Postby pandacory » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:45 pm

Sorry Stu can't help with the identity. As for removing her, don't leave her in the main tank she will keep the babies in her mouth until the get to a certain size. Then she will spit them out. Unless you intend growing them on and selling them, leave to defend for themselves. All my Mbuna have held the babies for a couple of weeks before releasing them. You could then put her in a spare tank, but under no circumstances use a breeding trap. they are not very good and water quality deteriorates rapidly in the net.
stuart

planted tank
3 oto's
6 lemon tetra
6silvertip tetra

marine setup fowlr
volitan lionfish
lemonpeel angel
crimson hawkfish
pajama cardinal

http://www.wix.com/tismeffs/sgaquariumcleaningservices
pandacory

Postby dogfish » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:09 pm

Thanks for the advice, i now have 14 fry in a30lt tank, i took all rocks and fish out of main tank rearanged rocks put female and fish back with no problems.
Stu
dogfish

Postby dogfish » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:49 pm

dogfish

Postby markee » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:34 pm

I'm on the case with the ID, slow internet & browsing hundreds of profiles is not helping my cause :lol:

I'm leaning towards Labidochromis but i'm having trouble tracking down the colouration of the female. Yellow Labs can have faint stripes on them depending on age & mood, but females are normally yellow as well. There is a varient that is light blue with dark stripes (Labidochromis Chisumulae) but the stripes don't go that far back & the females are normally a pearl white-ish colour. You seem to have a mixed bag as the female has more of a body shape to a Red Zebra (but that could be down to age/not eating whilst brooding). It's not uncommon for mbuna to cross breed (some species do it more than others!). Where did you get them from, just out of curiosity?

The hunt continues :lol:
markee

Postby dogfish » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:46 pm

Thanks alot for info, got them from pets at home :oops: just a impulse buy that i regret now, but ive got what ive got.
Stu
dogfish

Postby markee » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:12 pm

I remember now, the 'mixed malawi' :wink:

Had a look through your previous post & you have Yellow Labs in there, which is what i thought your male was originally & he looks like he's maturing up, hence he's a little darker than when he was a juvenile. Unfortunately i think he has bred with a female that isn't a Labidochromis (still trying to ID her!) & you have a bit of cross-breeding going on, the stripes on your fry kinda confirm this as well. The pic below is of a fry that my Yellow Labs produced (both male & female yellow) & the stripes are different to yours, but transfer the stripes of my fry to your male & you can see the match:

The hunt for your female continues :wink:

These are my Yellow Labs & you can see the faint stripes on them:
markee

Postby markee » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:00 am

Right, the female i think is........................................Pseudotropheus Lombardoi :wink:
markee

Postby dogfish » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:46 am

Thanks again, nice photos by the way,am i going to have a problem finding homes for cross breds,do people want cross breds,i am enjoying rearing the fry but i think i will let the females spit in the main tank from now on because i dont want to breed cross breds,ive got no more room for anymore tanks ive got four now.stuart
dogfish

Postby markee » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:39 am

Cross-breeding occurs in the wild as well, hence new species being discovered all the time, and as you've found out it happens by accident in the aquarium too. What is frowned upon is people who purposely try to cross-breed (man made hybrids). There will be people who like them & there will be some that don't, as long as your honest about it when you sell them it shouldn't be a problem.
markee

Return to Cichlids