New additions

Discussions on this fascinating and diverse group of fishes...

New additions

Postby Darryl1984 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:12 pm

Picked up 3 rather huge angels today. There 4 years old I think and the big boys looks like old men lol.

Just hoping they settle in. Pics will follow.

http://s916.photobucket.com/user/Darryl ... %20Uploads

Unfortunately the family I got them from were looking after them after a family member passed away and didn't know what to do so they offered them to me. The tank is far far to small but it's short term and the filter is more than powerful enough to filter the water uber quick lol. Hoping to aquire a 4 ft tank this month which will be there new home.
If anyone spots anything wrong with them from the pics please let me know as I'm new to Angel fish. Like I said the big ones are looking a bit old and decrepit.
Darryl1984

Re: New additions

Postby Carylnz » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:03 am

They are actually looking very healthy to me (not that I am an expert on them either) and not too thin. Unless they start attacking one another they will be fine until you can get them into the bigger tank.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Darryl1984 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:48 am

I'm glad they look healthy. The biggest one has a deformed top fin. It's bent and he's not the best of swimmers so I'm guessing it's something he's always had.
Darryl1984

Postby Darryl1984 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:50 am

As there in a small rank is it worth me running the airport. Does it do anything? The pumps an elite 802 and is rather noisy.
Darryl1984

Postby Carylnz » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:41 am

Those fins are a result of poor breeding and very common these days it seems.
If I translate your post correctly, I think you mean that they're in a small tank and therefore should you run an airpump?
If they are not hovering, or gasping, at the surface then there will be no need to run extra air.
Carylnz

Postby Darryl1984 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:50 am

Haha just read what I wrote Lol. Bloody phone. Lol

Yeh I ment air pump. Turned it off during the night and they seemed to be fine. To be honest they don't move much. Tried to feed them this morning and they weren't interested at all. I've not seen them near the surface, the just hover at the bottom.

Watching them this morning they have charged each other a few times. Nothing mega violent but at least there moving a bit more. Reading up on them got the water temperature at about 82/84 °F as warmer water seems to stress them less.
Darryl1984

Postby Darryl1984 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:54 am

Howdy all. Angels are still alive and appear relatively happy considering there cramped accommodation Lol. Getting the big tank running over the weekend and I'm contemplating taking the female out and adding to my community tank of platys, guppies, Neons and two wee sooky fish as my son calls them lol.
The girl has only ever had other male angels as company but do you think she will be OK. She's not aggressive to the two angels she shares the tank with.

Any advice would be great.
Darryl1984

Postby Carylnz » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:25 pm

Your female angel would love being the boss of the other tank and probably harass the other fish. As soon as she is big enough, will eat all the neons and anything else she can fit in her mouth :wink:
Carylnz

Postby Darryl1984 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:43 pm

Hahaha OK so that answers that. She is big so many not a good idea to add her.

On another note, got the tank up and running. Used sand this time. What a night mare it's been. Rinsed the play sand like crazy and 16hrs later it's still not totally cleared. Lol
Darryl1984

Postby Darryl1984 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:23 pm

Hello all. Havnt been on here for a while but I'm afraid I'm here with a problem. One of the make angels had recently had a swim bladder problem and was floating on the surface. He was struggling to get food and I'm amazed he survived long enough for the medicine to take effect but he's a wee fighter and pulled through. He lost loads of weight I'd say and looks so flat and boney around his head. He was going for food fine but only managing tiny peaces of food. He would eat a larger one then spit it bk out as if he couldn't manage it. He's bn perky for a couple of week but recently has stated to decline in health. Hardly bothering with food, keeps missing the small bits he's going for and seems slow. There's nothing physically obvious on his body like an injury or anything. The other two angels are fine. Water quality is good and temp is around 28°c.

Anyone any thoughts on what's going on. I've mediated the water for and bacterial problems so il see if that helps.
Darryl1984

Postby Rockfish » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:12 pm

Hi,

I wonder if it was an internal problem like a bacterial infection that caused the original swimbladder issue and it's returning? I know you mentioned the fish might be 'old' when you first got them (not that 4 years would be old for an angel fish, but if you inherited them then it's possible they could be older), so it could be age-related. Internal problems can become more likely in older fish and treating with an antibacterial (which is also what some swimbladder treatments are, while others are tonic salts) can delay the inevitable by knocking back the infection, but eventually either the original problem or repeated medication takes its toll.

The weight loss despite seeming keen to eat, and the other symptoms you describe certainly sound like either an aging fish or one with an internal issue like the beginnings of organ failure that's causing multiple symptoms and a gradual deterioration. Given that you're confident that water quality is good and the other angels seem fine, there might not be much else you can do other than see if the antibacterial you've added helps and monitor the fish closely.
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

Postby Darryl1984 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:21 am

Thanks for the advice. I'd be sad to see him go as he's my favourite of the three. Checked him this morning and he's not any better. Fingers crossed he pulls through.
Darryl1984

Postby Darryl1984 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:35 pm

Thought I'd update. The angel in question had improved once again and was back to his active self. The main change was the fact he was eating and keeping it down which was a Gd sign. Over the last few days he's only bn eating from the surface although uprigh and this morning I went up to feed them and he's floating on his side at the surface again. The other two are fine and show me signs if distress or illness. Water parameters are good. Is it safe to keep medicating the water with the two healthy fish in the tank. I don't have a spare tank or he would be in it till he was sorted.
Darryl1984

Postby cousin it » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:07 pm

Hi
Are you feeding the other fish in this tank any algae wafers?
Daran

there's always one
cousin it

Postby Darryl1984 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:38 pm

They get fed Tetra Pro Energy. They enjoy it and seems to make less mess. Lol. I use it in my other tank and they all love it too.
Darryl1984

Next

Return to Cichlids