Some notes on the more common species of Dwarf Cichlids

Discussions on this fascinating and diverse group of fishes...

Postby calsonic » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:01 pm

err water peramiters what they eat amd any special requirments would be great thanks becky im considering getting rid of my clowns and one of my plecs as there not doing well in my set up so i will have more room for some dwarfs :?
Ask any racer, any real racer. It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile; winning's winning.
calsonic

Postby Apistogramma » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:17 pm

What else do you have in the tank and what size is it?

They are usually kept in m/f pairs or one male and several females (at least three as they are bullies sometimes). They usually reach around 3" for males and 2" for females, which are much plainer.
Tank should be bogwood, planted and with plenty of hiding places. Substrate should be smooth, small gravel or sand.
Water should be soft and acidic although they can tolerate slightly alkaline water, the local water they were bred and/or kept in should be fine.
They're usually taking dried food if they're tank raised, so good quality flake and a variety of good foods, perhaps brine shrimp and daphnia.
You can get very small 'caves' basically little spawning cones that lay on their sides and have an entrance about 1" in diameter for them to hide and spawn in.
Becky

*Aimlessly drives around in the steam roller with Karena's now fairly blunt scissors...and Lisa's hedge trimmer*

Apistogramma

Postby calsonic » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:56 pm

There going to go in my 6 ft x2 ft x 2ft tank along with my other comunity fish clowns plecs angels etc. They kept in ro water but from what phil said the will go in my water and get on in my setup okay if i am carefull aclimatizing them.I was a bit nervous about the ph it is a bit alkaline at about 8 There are lots of caves and rocks so they should do well i think i will get them is £30 alot for a tank bred pair?
Ask any racer, any real racer. It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile; winning's winning.
calsonic

Postby Apistogramma » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:09 pm

Yes £30 is extortion for tank bred cockatoos!!

In a 6x2x2 you will probably never see them... :wink:

They would also be very likely to become angel fish snacks.

I wouldn't add more cichlids to that tank to be honest, especially not such little ones.
Becky

*Aimlessly drives around in the steam roller with Karena's now fairly blunt scissors...and Lisa's hedge trimmer*

Apistogramma

Postby calsonic » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:22 pm

the angel fish keep to themselves and idprobally see them more than my clowns lolim really tempted i hav been fairly luckyso far they even leave the fighter alone
calsonic

Postby Apistogramma » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:56 pm

You have a fighter too? I'm surprised you haven't had issues with them before now.
At the end of the day it's up to you, but I don't think they are really suitable for your set-up.
Becky

Apistogramma

Postby calsonic » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:23 pm

its staying till thursday then he is going to live with my mate carl hopefully i wont have to rehome him again :cry: i didnt really want the fighter but if i didnt take him on he was destined for the loo
i got a pair if it doesnt work out they will go back the c02 should bring the ph down when i get it so far there feeding well on small bits of flake
calsonic

Postby Apistogramma » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:46 pm

Did you manage to get the price down at all?

I hope they do well for you - I love apistos...you'd never have guessed... :wink:
Becky

Apistogramma

Postby calsonic » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:37 pm

yes and no i have had good dealson everything else i got from there but they couldnt knock anything of theprice but they spent 45mins talking bout my set up and will knock some money off my next bits of kit there the best kept chiclids i have seen so far
calsonic

Previous

Return to Cichlids