Ideas for my new 29 gallon tank?

Discussions on this fascinating and diverse group of fishes...

Ideas for my new 29 gallon tank?

Postby spacekevie » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:22 pm

Hi I'm new here. I have a new 29 gallon tank up and running. Need imput on what to stock it with. I have a 10 gallon set up with platies, swordtails and black skirt and redeye tetras so no more of those. I was hoping to try my hand at some more exotic species since I have been in the hobby two years now and havent lost a fish.
spacekevie

Postby san-ho-zay » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:30 pm

Welcome Kev :)

Is the tank cycled? If you are looking at more exotic fish you wouldn't really want to cycle the tank with them.

EDIT: What's the size of the tank (length x width x depth)?
Richard
san-ho-zay

Postby krekra » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:46 am

Hi there and welcome to the TTT forum. If it is a US 29 then it is 30inches long X 12inches wide X 16 or so high.

Its a decent sized tank. I have one myself. I do have some concerns for how many fish are in your ten gallon though. It sounds very very crowded in there. How many of each fish do you have??

You may need to seriously consider moving many of them up to the 29 when it is fully cycled.

You could move quite a few of those over and still have room for a nice cool centerpiece fish. And maybe some cute little khuli loaches but first lets find out what and how many you have in the ten and how you want to cycle the 29. On the first page of the beginers section there are some sticky threads with links to all kinds of important concepts including tank capacities.

Check it out and give us a little more info and we will be more then happy to help you decide what to do.

cheers!
Karena

Just because you can doesnt always mean you should!
krekra

Postby spacekevie » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:00 am

Thanks for the response everyone. Kreka I had 2 of each in the ten gallon plus a red fin shark. My 29 gallon is cycled and I now have an electric yellow Malawi cichlid and what I believe to be a blue Kenyi Malwi cichlid. My shark has also been moved over, I know these are all territorial but this is only temporary until I find a home for the shark. Should I stop here or add any more fish?
spacekevie

Postby san-ho-zay » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:57 am

Are you planning the 29 gallon as a Malawi setup? I don't know anything about them really other than they prefer a high pH, you need to manage their aggression and they are best in a species tank.

Is a 29 gallon big enough? :?
Richard
san-ho-zay

Postby krekra » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:32 pm

Is a 29 gallon big enough?

Good question??? Im not sure but I am going to kick this over to the ciclid forum where someone else might :mrgreen:

I am also locking it cause I see that you already have a thread about this going in the cichlid forum.
Karena

Just because you can doesnt always mean you should!
krekra

Return to Cichlids