Breeding Panda Corys

Discuss those captivating bottom dwelling critters...

Breeding Panda Corys

Postby New Keeper » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:35 pm

Hi All

Well here's my story, haven't been on here for quite some time but now need a little bit of advice. I originally had a 60 litre tank which I set up about a year ago now, maybe a little more. Among other fish I had 3 panda corys in here. I then decided that I wanted a larger tank and bought and set up a 180 litre tank, about Sept/Oct last year, I set it up with sand as I knew that the corys would like that and tried to plant with a number of plants which I have had varying succuess with. Anyway I transferred all the fish from the 60 litre tank, bought a few more tetras and went one sunday to buy 3 more corys as I thought a group of 6 would be better, well when I got to my lfs there was one in the tank in it's own so I bought this one and added it to my tank. This was about 4 months ago now and since then they seem to be breeding quite a lot. I originally found 2 in the tank which I was really excited and pleased about, when I cleaned out the filter I found another one in there, so 3 in total. This was approx. 10 weeks ago and now I have just discovered at least 4 more in the tank. i am now quite worried that they are going to out breed my capacity, HELP what do I do? i have been in touch with my lfs and they have said that they'll take them from time to time but they need to be an inch long. I don't know wether I might just be better taking what I think is the breeding female to the lfs. I really didn't expect this to happen, I thought you'd need to be more experienced to get your fish to breed. Any advice welcomed, Thanks.
New Keeper

Postby alihar » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:17 am

Do they seem to spawn after a water change? if when you do a water change the water is slightly cooler it encourages spawning. I had cory fry popping up from everywhere last year so now I make any replacement water a degree or two warmer than the tank water to discourage spawning and so far it's done the trick.
Ali
My job is took cook them, my passion is to keep them.
200 litre 4 guppy 5 dwarf cory 1 oto 1 albino veil tale BNP 8 cardinal tetra 8 galaxy rasbora 2 flame dwarf gourami 3 cherry barbs 2 coral platy
alihar

Return to Catfish