Very shy pleco!

Discuss those captivating bottom dwelling critters...

Very shy pleco!

Postby csquadqb17 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:05 pm

My clown pleco is so shy he won't come out unless you're about 10 feet away completely still! I've walked into the room and he's been on the glass but then he quickly darts back into his hiding place which is up into a piece of driftwood. any ideas why..??
91L Nano Cube DX, making a new layout soon! 3 Zebra Danios, 2 female Swordtails, 2 Spotted Cories, 1 Clown Plec.
csquadqb17

Re: Very shy pleco!

Postby Angel Fish » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:15 am

It's what they do :roll:

Is this with or without the tank light on?
All the advice I give is based on my own personal 30 years of experience.
Main TT Page
Diabetes Forum
Angel Fish

Postby cousin it » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:52 am

I have had my clown plec for about 8 years and have seen it probably a couple of dozen times up close in that period, you can usually see the face peering out from under the piece of wood that it has set up home in, if I sit across the room from the tank it will come out to feed on tetra natura algae mix failry quickly as that seems to be one food it is partial to other than the wood it lives in, but if I was to make a move towards the the tank it will quickly vanish back under the wood.
Daran

there's always one
cousin it

Postby csquadqb17 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:35 am

I see. He hides if the light is on or off. But usually when he's on the glass is with the light off when I come home. or in the middle of the night, but that's really when plecs come out naturally right?
91L Nano Cube DX, making a new layout soon! 3 Zebra Danios, 2 female Swordtails, 2 Spotted Cories, 1 Clown Plec.
csquadqb17

Postby UK-Dude » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:29 pm

Hello,
My pleco was like that when i first got it from the pet shop.
Best thing to do is put something so it can hide in the middel off the tank. Then it can hide under there when the light is on or feeding time.
It will take time but they will end up getting use to what is going on in the tank and outside the tank when feeding!
My pleco now comes out at all time when feeding it. Never hids any more!

The more hiding place's in your tank the more fish will feel safe and they will come out more!

One more thing i feed both off my plecos what i have got now "Tetra Pleco Multi Wafers". They love the stuff and it will help to make the pleco come out more. :)
Feed them one every night befor bed!

This is one off my plecos eatting one.
UK-Dude

Return to Catfish