bronze cory eggs

Discuss those captivating bottom dwelling critters...

bronze cory eggs

Postby wan1967 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:47 pm

Every month or so since i changed filters my corys leave me 50/60 eggs on the glass.Have tried twice to hatch some but have failed.I dont have another tank to put them in,just a small plastic hatchery that could take a few.Would anyone with experience like to point me in the right direction please,
Yours Bruce
wan1967

Re: bronze cory eggs

Postby cousin it » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:08 pm

If the cories have laid eggs only on the glass the only way to hatch the eggs with any reliability would be to leave the eggs in situ and remove the rest of your fish, if they have laid eggs on plants the leaves of the plants can be removed and placed in a second tank, placing the eggs into a hatchery will probably yeild no young due to fungus attacking the eggs due to poor water flow in this type of container.

I would highly recomend a breeding tank set up with a sand substrate and some plants to give the cories somewhere to lay the eggs on, after they have laid the eggs the parents will need to be removed to a separate tank and the eggs left to hatch, during the first few days after hatching the young will feed from the yoke sacs and at about the 4th day infusoria will need to be available for them to feed on, this is followed by newly hatched brine shrimp until the young are large enough to start taking crushed adult food.

failing that leave the eggs where they are and see if any survive if you do not have the facilities to hatch and rear the young, I frequently find young sterbai cories in my external filter following my cories spawning, given that I have a group of over 20 adults a cooler water change triggers most of them to hatch, 3-4 young from potentially 5-600 eggs laid each spawning shows that the survival rate of this method is very low.
Daran

there's always one
cousin it

Postby wan1967 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:37 pm

Thank you for that.I have no room for a breeding tank but the hatchery is positioned in the filter outlet flow.Will look into getting more plants and creating some more hiding places,
Yours Bruce
wan1967

Postby Ryland7 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:04 pm

hi, well I finally got my cories to lay eggs again. This time, I have not made any of the obvious mistakes e.g. exposing eggs to air, removing eggs before 24 hours. But I have been doing a deal of reading, and I heard on one site that cory eggs are supossed to turn clear or amber colored after 24 hours or they are not viable. Well, 24 hours later, and mine are still opaque, with a SMALL ting of amber. Are they any good?
Ryland7

Postby icbefg » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:47 am

Just thought I'd update what's been happen since I found my Bronze Cory laying eggs.
The eggs that had not been laid on the aquarium glass I removed to the small tank in my den, leaf and all securing to the bottom of tank. The very next day I spotted more eggs in the main tank on the plants but looking different from the original Cory spawning, again I removed a couple of leafs to the small tank and did a bit of reading .... oh boy reading can be dangeous ...lol apparently 3 to 4 days for cory eggs to hatch so Thursday & Friday regular checks found no little beady eyes look back at me I was starting to feel I'd fail as a dad...lol.
Then this morning we had a death in the family when one of the Platy's was found to have passed away over night with no obvious reason, but the sorrow has been lifted tonight when a glance into the small tank and there appeared quite a few little (very little) fishes swimming around. I have no idea what they could be taking into account I had two different looking batches of eggs in there, will they survive no idea but hope is high again...
icbefg

Return to Catfish