catfish identification

Discuss those captivating bottom dwelling critters...

catfish identification

Postby eonz1971 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:50 pm

:!: needing help to identify the species of catfish before i buy, not letting me upload pictures on here so here go's the description,

almost white eel type body, with black blotches all over body, and the whiskers are all forward facing. many thanks
eonz1971

Re: catfish identification

Postby cacheap » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:29 am

How long would it take a bristle nose catfish to fully grow?
I bought a bristle nose catfish today to add into my 15 gallon community tank, and so far it's only about 2-3cm, so no larger than an inch. Given a varied diet of peas, cucumbers, catfish pellets, bloodworms and maybe zucchinis/courgettes, how long should it take to become fully grown?

I heard they get up to 10cm (about 4inches). Is this true?

cacheap

Re: catfish identification

Postby Carylnz » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:05 am

ID really needs a pic. You need the pic to be in an online album that allows sharing (like Imageshack or Photobucket). I also think you need to make 3 or 4 posts before pics are allowed to be used.

cacheap a BN will reach 10cm or a bit bigger. If it is no longer than 2 - 3cm then it is very young and only just big enough to be moved. Many say that if you move them when they are too small they do not survive and I have certainly found this to be true.
They grow fairly quickly and will be a good size by 9 months. Full sized by 2yrs if not sooner. I can't remember as mine are over 10 years old now and I can't remember how fast they grew. :roll:
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Return to Catfish