Choosing Corys

Discuss those captivating bottom dwelling critters...

Choosing Corys

Postby Kaystar » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:16 pm

Hello,

Ive been looking for some corys for a while now. I recently set up a new tank after a 3 year break and am very excited to get started.

Ive been doing loads of research on which fish to get that will live together, how large they will grow and what food types they like.

I saw some Albino Corys in our LFS and went home and did some research. I quite like the Albino, Panda and Leopard ones but I am unsure when it says "live with its own kind" does that mean other ALL Corys or just other Panda Corys? I would love to have one of each (to name them and tell them apart) but don't want to mix if its not recommended.

Ive have had the tank going for around 3 days now so still awhile to go before adding the fish. I'm also looking at getting 5 male guppy's for colour and that would be all. I have a 55 ltr tank :)

Thank you in advance.

Llana :)
Kaystar

Re: Choosing Corys

Postby jennifer o » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:21 pm

hi there, well ive got 3 albino corys and i love them so much. they are so funy to watch and get on with all my otherfish.

im looking to get 3 more of a different colour and ive heard they do get on with other SPECIES :)
200l tank - 6 black phantom tetras, 1 golden chinese algae eaters, 2 pleco, 5 harlequin rasboras, 5 platys, 2 silver mollies, 3 panda corys

80l tank - 3 platys, 1 guppy, 4 neon tetras, 2 red honey gouramis

still learning
jennifer o

Postby Carylnz » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:28 am

You can mix the cory types but they prefer to be with their own kind -pandas with pandas, leopards with leopards, Schwartzii with Schwartzii etc.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby crawfish » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:12 pm

I have 3 albino and 3 bronze and they all get on fine, there brillant to watch swimming quickly to the surface and back
crawfish

Postby cobden28 » Wed May 09, 2012 10:38 am

I have four Sterbai and one Trilineatus, and they all co-exist happily.
cobden28

Postby tropicalfishman » Sat May 26, 2012 12:50 am

I have 3 tail spot corys and they're great! they're really hardy and mine have actually laid eggs, without me even trying to breed them! I've also had bronze corys in a previous tank and they we're great as well! I would say get at least of the same species, or that's what I prefer because I think it all comes down to aesthetics because if, for example you get 3 of different species, it looks a bit rag-tag (well that's my opinion at least) Have fun and enjoy!
My Tank:
4x Cardinal Tetra
4x Glowlight Tetra
3x Tail Spot Corydoras
2x Harlequin Rasbora
2x Dwarf Oto
2x Amano Shrimp
1x Zebra Snail
tropicalfishman

Return to Catfish