baby otos

Discuss those captivating bottom dwelling critters...

baby otos

Postby Reginald_Rat » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:35 pm

Hi,

As a new aquarist, I was just writing in to see how frequent it was to have otoclinus catfish breeding in a community tank. Due to problems with algae I bought 5 catfish about 2 months ago - they seem happy and two weeks back I noticed a tiny young one - I assumed he would get eaten, but he seems fine and has at least one other sibling now. However, on cleaning the tank today I have found eggs all over the tank - under leaves and stuck to the glass. So, hopefully, I'll have a whole shoal of them soon. It appears there is a plus side to battling with algae.

N.B. introduction of the catfish hasn't got rid of the algae, but it seems to have changed species - my original problem was with the really long trailing filamentous algae - this has now disappeared, but I have a much shorter tougher algae instead now - this is less unsightly than the trailing algae so its an improvement.

Tank = fairly new (5 months) heavily planted 125 L tank with tetras, corys, dwarf gouramis, ram cichlids, and guppies.

N.N.B. Have just watched my male ram staring intently at a 1 cm long baby oto, and then swimming away - obviously not that interested.
Reginald_Rat

Re: baby otos

Postby Carylnz » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:28 am

You might find this of interest.
The eggs may also be cory eggs.
Perhaps it is the same algae but with the ends nibbled off :wink:
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Return to Catfish