Rubbernose pleco / bulldog pleco

Discuss those captivating bottom dwelling critters...

Rubbernose pleco / bulldog pleco

Postby SparkyST » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:34 pm

Bought a rubbernose / bulldog pleco yesterday for my tank.

I understand they like cucumber which I have bought it some. Weighed it down with a stainless steel spoon.

My question is how long should I leave the cucumber in the tank?
SparkyST

Re: Rubbernose pleco / bulldog pleco

Postby Carylnz » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:36 am

If it not eaten within a few hours then remove it or it will foul the tank. It may take a few attempts before the plec recognises it as food and gives it a go.
Make sure the cucumber is well washed (some even peel them) to get rid of any spray residue that may be on the skin.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby SparkyST » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:33 am

Carylnz wrote:If it not eaten within a few hours then remove it or it will foul the tank. It may take a few attempts before the plec recognises it as food and gives it a go.
Make sure the cucumber is well washed (some even peel them) to get rid of any spray residue that may be on the skin.

Thanks Carylnz. I left it in over night but the pleco hadn't touched it, hoping he (or she) is getting acclimatised still and will eventually eat. Will put another slice in tonight and see what happens.
SparkyST

Postby Carylnz » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:12 am

They can take a few days to get used to new surroundings and settle in so don't worry if it doesn't eat for a few days.
You could try offering different foods too as you don't know what it has been used to up until now.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby SparkyST » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:17 am

Carylnz wrote:They can take a few days to get used to new surroundings and settle in so don't worry if it doesn't eat for a few days.
You could try offering different foods too as you don't know what it has been used to up until now.

Thanks Carylnz great advise as always :)
SparkyST

Postby ady » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:43 pm

they will find it out soon enough... 8) ...my Bn's took a couple of attempts to work it out...now they on it like a flash.

my old pleco loved em.i use courgette and cucumber.i weigh it down with cutlery too....saves buying a screw-cumber...

if they not getting the hint,try scoring the "offerings",it should help em realise it's grub...

i tend to offer it just before a water change,that way any problems with fouling the water is dealt with.. i have lef tmine in for upto 3 days..the other fish love it...especially my clownies..... :)
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Return to Catfish