A quick question about albino catfish

Discuss those captivating bottom dwelling critters...

A quick question about albino catfish

Postby sb7899 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:50 pm

Hi there, hope somebody can help me with this; I have a 160 l tank with5 tetras, one guppy, two blue dwarf gourami's and an algae eater. Today I added 5 albino catfish and I've startedbot feed them with pellets, one for each of the fish, as advised by my local fish shop. So far they've been snuffling about but actually haven't made it near a pellet yet, any tips on how to do this a bit more effectively would be greatly appreciated.

The other thing I'm a bit worried about is the algae eater very effectively cleans the bottom of my tank and I'm wondering if there will be anything left for the catfish. Not sure if this is just me panicking but any advice would help.

Many thanks,
sb7899

Re: A quick question about albino catfish

Postby englishmx » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:00 pm

sb7899 wrote:So far they've been snuffling about but actually haven't made it near a pellet yet, any tips on how to do this a bit more effectively would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe there not hungry :wink:

No need to panic
Mike...
englishmx

Re: A quick question about albino catfish

Postby Carylnz » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:34 am

New fish can take a few days to settle in and may not eat during this settling in period. They will be able to smell the pellets, don't you worry. They may also be feeding off minute bits as they flake off, rather than eat directly from the pellet. Unless they are very small pellets, I would say one each was too much anyway.
As time goes by you will learn the best time to feed the fish so the corys get their share, or they will learn to get it, before the algae eater :wink:
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Return to Catfish