Looking for your experience-reports about HARA JERDONI

Discuss those captivating bottom dwelling critters...

Looking for your experience-reports about HARA JERDONI

Postby rabbi » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:08 pm

Hi,

at the moment I am looking forward to start my first tank. I would like to set up a tank with many plants and of course some of these fascinating little hara jerdonis as "solo players".

Since I did some web research, I found that there's only very poor information about h.j., therefore I am looking for your personal experiences with them.

Questions:

1. How long do your Hara jerdonis live?

2. How important is the ground of the tank? I've read that they are predatory fish, so I would guess it isn't as important as for other catfish.

3. I used to read, that h.j. shall be grown in groups, but in the other hand they don't seem to show up any social behaviour. - So would you buy a group or a single fish?

4. I've heard that they're (as lurking predators) mostly inactive all day long until they get fed. - And some people keep them in 4 gallons (12litre) tanks. Would you recommend that?

5. I've heard rumors that they can get used to accept flake fish food. Any experiences with that?

6. How often do you feed them? With which food? And: Which amount?

I am thankful for any information!

Best regards

the Rabbi
rabbi

Re: Looking for your experience-reports about HARA JERDONI

Postby Carylnz » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:34 am

I have never heard of these fish but there is good information here which says they are peaceful, shy, and will eat a variety of live and prepared foods but prefer live.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby rabbi » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:18 pm

Hi Carylnz,

thank you for the link, I already knew it. Probably there's some arround here, who could give some more information.

Best regards

the rabbi
rabbi

Postby Angel Fish » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:35 pm

If no-one here has one, you won't find better information than they have at http://www.planetcatfish.com (the link that Caryl gave) :wink:

Have a look in the "Further Information" box at the bottom of the link, there is a list of members that keep them. You'll have to join, but that way you can speak to someone with experience :)
All the advice I give is based on my own personal 30 years of experience.
Main TT Page
Diabetes Forum
Angel Fish

Return to Catfish