Clown Plec, BN and Red tailed shark - add to aquarium?

Discuss those captivating bottom dwelling critters...

Clown Plec, BN and Red tailed shark - add to aquarium?

Postby ShivyDevon » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:55 am

Hi peeps

I was a member of this forum a good few years ago but I cannot remember my login details or they no longer work!

I just wanted a bit of advice about plecos.

One of my friends has a biorb tank that she may need to ‘rehome’. In that tank she has a clown plec and an albino red tailed shark. I have said I could maybe take these off her hands but only if they fit into my current setup.

My current setup:
Fluval Vincenza (180litres/47.5 gallons)
Fluval 405 external filter
Black sand substrate
1 large hollow log with large anubias plant attached
3 x bogwood with java fern attached
5 x Harlequin Rasboras (approx. 6-7 years old)
1 x Pentazona barb (intend to increase)
1 x leopard cory (intend to increase to about 5 but recently moved so just settling)
1 x Male bristlenose plec (approx. 5-6yrs old, 4ish inches).

So my questions are:
• Could I have the bristlenose and the clown plec in the same tank (I don’t know the sex of the clown plec but is similar size to my bristlenose) if I increase hiding places? My bristlenose (Spike) is pretty territorial with the corys and I know they can be pretty territorial especially the older they get.
• How much space would it leave if I added the red tailed shark to my aquarium (considering I want to increase my corys and pentazonas)?
• Would the red tailed shark fit in with my existing fish species (its about 4-s inches I would say)?

Any advice much appreciated.
ShivyDevon

Re: Clown Plec, BN and Red tailed shark - add to aquarium?

Postby Carylnz » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:13 am

A lot depends on the individual species' temperaments but, assuming there are plenty of plants, logs and hiding places, the BN and plec ought to co-exist happily, or relatively so. They may have the occasional territorial squabble, mainly over food, but these rarely cause damage. I have never had an aggressive BN, except when they wanted to make it clear the food pellet was theirs!

I am not happy with red tailed sharks, albino or otherwise. They can be peaceful for so long then suddenly may get very aggressive and attack everything in sight. They are better, and less aggressive, in larger tanks than yours and you might be courting trouble with that one.

Otherwise, you are lightly stocked so plenty of room to add the others.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Re: Clown Plec, BN and Red tailed shark - add to aquarium?

Postby ShivyDevon » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:35 am

Thank you Carlynz. I appreciate your time to reply. I will get some more plants and another hidey log and quarantine the plec and then add to my aquarium. Thanks again!
ShivyDevon

Return to Catfish