Silvers Dollars and Rays.

A forum to discuss the more unusual aquarium fish - Arowanas, Eels, Knifefish, Polypterus, Puffers, Rays and more...

Silvers Dollars and Rays.

Postby TheCaptain » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:38 am

Would mature/adult Silver Dollars be suitable tank mates for a motoro string ray - or one of the other smaller fresh water breeds?

As you may have seen - I've lost a couple of fish recently and don't want to add more Cichlids as that would put back my plans of Stingrays... but would like to add something that could live with a Stingray, and hold its own in a tank of semi-aggressive cichlids (Oscars)... so I was thinking, I've already got 4 dollars - since one died - I could add another 2 or 3 to the tank, maybe even a couple more, the tank isn't what you'd call fully stocked as it is - but would they be okay with a sting ray in the future, so long as they're adult?
Richard "TheCaptain" Combes.

Remember: Piracy is a crime. Do not accept copies of The Captain.
TheCaptain

Postby Rockfish » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:58 pm

Adult Dollars should be ok with anything but the largest/most aggressive rays (which are known to occasionally grab larger fish at night, which results in them getting mangled, even if they can't eat them).

However, one problem might be in getting food to the ray(s), because of the dollars being such busy midwater feeders. As long as you employ techniques to make sure the rays get the food they need, it's a possible combination.
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

Postby TheCaptain » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:41 pm

Awesome - thanks.

How about a Sorubim Lima and a ray?
Richard "TheCaptain" Combes.

Remember: Piracy is a crime. Do not accept copies of The Captain.
TheCaptain

Postby Rockfish » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:12 pm

With many predatory catfish, I'd say they were too competitive with food and sometimes too territorial to mix well with rays, but the Lima shovelnose is a pretty laid-back kinda catfish (technical term), so should be ok - it's a combination that I've known a few people do.
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

Return to Oddballs and Brackish Fish