figure of eight puffer

A forum to discuss the more unusual aquarium fish - Arowanas, Eels, Knifefish, Polypterus, Puffers, Rays and more...

figure of eight puffer

Postby thermalthong » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:09 pm

got a tank ready to have water in it and i am looking at getting just one figure of eight puffer for it, he will be the only fish in this tank due to their snappy personality but what i am thinking of doing is getting some danios from my other tank to 'boost' the biological filter after it has cycled for a fortnight and then remove them after a month or two so the water will be ready for the puffer. would this be good practise or after cycling should i go straight in with the puffer?
Last edited by thermalthong on Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thermalthong

Postby Switch01252 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:10 pm

i think puffers need a mature tank what you could do is give the tank a filter squeeze
Steve
Switch01252

Postby thermalthong » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:58 pm

what is a filter squeeze?!
thermalthong

Postby corycor » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:03 pm

Its when you take mature filter media (usually sponge type of media) from a mature aquarium (6 months or older) and you squeeze the water from it into your new tank (along with maybe some gunk in it) so that some of the beneficial bacteria can go to your tank and establish themselves in the aquarium. Its kinda like jump starting your aquarium just in a slow process...

You can also take media from an aquarium of the same type (type of water/aquarium and about the same ph etc) and put a small piece in.
I am gone but will be back in the summer Muahahahaahahahahahahaha......
corycor

Postby thermalthong » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:15 pm

ok how about when i do a partial water change on my other tank i put the old water in this new tank? will that help it along as well? im in no rush to get this fish in, i just want to do it right for the puffers sake.
thermalthong

Postby corycor » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:27 pm

The water does not really contain very many beneficial bacteria. Most of it that comes of the filter squeeze is that when you squeeze it some bits and other stuff/gunk come out of the sponge and that has the bacteria...

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I'm rather sure thats what it is.
corycor

Postby alan_uk » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:46 pm

yea thats right bacteria gather in the filter media and the substrate in a tank :)

you either want to get some of your other substrate and put it in a ladies tight leg and hang it in your tank for a week or so or do the filter squeeze getting as much crap from the sponge as you can in your pufer tank bad idea if you have sand though as it looks a mess :)
84x18x18 PLANTED
4 DISCUS, 2 GERMAN BLUE RAMS, 12 RUMMY NOSE TETRA, 2 GOLDEN NUGGET PLEC, 6 AMANO SHRIMP, 4 CORYDORA STERBAI
alan_uk

Postby thermalthong » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:09 am

ok when i get the tank running i will give it a squeeze from the filters in both my other tanks! doing this squeeze though will it jepodise (sp) my other tanks biological filtration? i.e remove to much bacteria from the existing tanks? also should i squeeze it when i am about to clean the filter media therefore dumping all the cack in the new tank?
thermalthong

Postby Daveysmum » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:25 am

Squeeze over a sieve. That way, you get all the nice juice without any of the lumpy bits! If you have more than one sponge in each filter, only use one sponge from each. If there is only one sponge, a gentle squeeze shouldn't compromise your bacteria too much, as there will still be lots in the substrate and on the surfaces of your established tanks. :)

Emma
Daveysmum

Postby thermalthong » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:28 pm

in one tank i have a fluval 2 plus and the other i have a fluval 3 plus so both have 2 sponges in each. i will ring out one from each then. how many times can i do that and how long after should i put danios or puffer in?
thermalthong

Postby Daveysmum » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:21 pm

You should only have to do the filter squeeze once to start off the good bacteria. You need to put your fish in straight away, so that the bacteria are being "fed" by the fish waste and fish food; otherwise they will die off and you'll have to start again.

Emma
Daveysmum

Postby thermalthong » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:25 pm

ok here's my plan then lol, cycle the tank for 2 weeks with de-chloronater and some stress zyme beneficial bacteria to start, then do a filter squeeze (would it hurt to do 2 squeezes i.e one filter media from each of my other tanks or is that a strict no no?, dont wanna overdose on bacteria!) then add some danios or can i go straight in with a puffer?
thermalthong

Postby TheCaptain » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:40 pm

If the puffer needs a mature tank, go with danios first. The squeeze will give you a head start, but won't give you a mature tank right away.

I'd still (personally) be looking to leave a good month at least before adding something that requires a Mature tank.
Richard "TheCaptain" Combes.

Remember: Piracy is a crime. Do not accept copies of The Captain.
TheCaptain

Postby corycor » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:02 pm

Don't over complicate it too much. Personally I think its better when you don't use chem to cycle your tank (or for any other purpose other than diseases really.)

Just do a filter squeeze from a filter or two and put the danios in. Test the water every day and do a water change when needed... I know that you can get away with not waiting for a mature tank. as Captain said it will be worth it to wait a while instead of having dead puffers. Theirs a reason why they say mature for some types of fish. A mature tank doesn't usually have ammonia etc spikes and is quite stable compared to a new tank...
corycor

Postby thermalthong » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:10 pm

ok will do that then. thanks everyone.
thermalthong

Next

Return to Oddballs and Brackish Fish