mudskipper

A forum to discuss the more unusual aquarium fish - Arowanas, Eels, Knifefish, Polypterus, Puffers, Rays and more...

mudskipper

Postby thermalthong » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:29 pm

anyone ever kept these? how hard are they to look after? not going to get one as one 80 ltr, a 110 ltr, a 50ltr and a goldfish bowl are more than enough!! just interested in them is all.
thermalthong

Postby jed exertus » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:57 pm

Ive never kept them but i would love to have a few !!! They are really cool !!! I would have half the tank raised out of the water and maybe some monos and archer fish in there would look nice but to be honest ive never seen them in a shop ever !!! and ive never had brackish fish so haven't really got a clue about the water salt levels ect !!!
jed exertus

Postby Rockfish » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:24 pm

They are interesting to keep, and not really that difficult so long as the setup takes into account their specific needs.

I keep the larger and more aggressive African mudskippers and one of the smaller species of Indian mudskipper, which although territorial are much more manageable.

They can also become very tame, the small Indian mudskippers will jump onto my hand to take bloodworms, etc. I could do that with the African ones too, but their bite is painful if they mistake you for the food!
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

Postby jed exertus » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:01 am

How much do they cost ? and do you need protein skimmers and other stuff that you would associate with marine setup's ?
jed exertus

Postby Rockfish » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:55 pm

They're not that expensive, prices typically start from around £5 when they're available - but that's the problem, they rarely are!

Skimmers aren't much use until you are very high-end brackish, which you don't really need for mudskippers, they will tolerate a wide range of salinities quite happily. Marine salt and a basic hydrometer to check salinity are the main requirements that differ from a typcial freshwater tank, apart from the need for land areas.
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

Postby jed exertus » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:35 am

Thank's What's a hydrometer then i know it for checking the salt levels but that's it !!!!
jed exertus

Return to Oddballs and Brackish Fish