Fluval edge and red claw/fiddler crab help me!

A forum to discuss the more unusual aquarium fish - Arowanas, Eels, Knifefish, Polypterus, Puffers, Rays and more...

Fluval edge and red claw/fiddler crab help me!

Postby fishfood » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:08 pm

Fluval Edge yay or nay? I've heard that you need to set them up quite differently to how they come, plus would it be ok with half water half land in the fluval edge?
What other tanks are good? I'd only be keeping a couple as the tank will be a smaller one.
What's the best heater for say a 25l tank, any brand names?

Just deciding whether to get fish and a frog or have a crab tank, can't decide which type of crab either, not even sure if the crabs would be a good idea for us starting out as I've only had cold water goldfish before.

Postby Daveysmum » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:24 pm

Hi Fishfood,

welcome to the forum. Sorry I can't be much help on most of your queries, as I have no experience of the Fluval Edge or red-clawed crabs (though general opinion seems to be they're more trouble than they're worth, from previous threads).

However, in response to your heater question here www.aquaessentials.co.uk/hydor-mini-hea ... -2187.html is a link to a great heater for small tanks. I use this one to heat up my 40 litres changes water in a plastic dustbin and it is very effective.

Hope someone will be along soon to help you out further.

Postby Rockfish » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:11 pm

A Fluval Edge wouldn't be a good choice for a half-water half-land type setup, because the tank needs to be almost full for the hang-on-back filter to work properly.

You could put a different filter in I suppose if you really like the tank design enough to pay for an extra filter in place of the one you're not going to use.

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Site Admin

Postby alihar » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:36 pm

Fluval edge is more designed for it's looks rather than practicality!
I had one mainly because i had no space for a larger tank, substate needs to be around an inch thick to get the shimmer effect from the lighting. The filter is powerful it can filter a tank 3x the edges capacity but it does hang on the back and water needs to be filled to the top to filter and to get the visual effect it boasts.
Maintenance is a pain you need to drain some water before putting your hands in or it overflows and netting fish is a nightmare even with the edges specially designed net.
I kept healthy happy fish in it for more than a year but a soon as I had space it was gone!
My job is took cook them, my passion is to keep them.
200 litre 4 guppy 5 dwarf cory 1 oto 1 albino veil tale BNP 8 cardinal tetra 8 galaxy rasbora 2 flame dwarf gourami 3 cherry barbs 2 coral platy

Return to Oddballs and Brackish Fish