Amazon Puffers

A forum to discuss the more unusual aquarium fish - Arowanas, Eels, Knifefish, Polypterus, Puffers, Rays and more...

Amazon Puffers

Postby TheCaptain » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:32 pm

Amazon puffers... anyone know much about them?

I know their teeth grow quickly - but a lot of people say you have to cut them regularly, others say if you feed them snails and cockles, and keep soft stone in the tank - they should grind their own teeth and not need them cutting. Anyone know anything about them?

I'm thinking of growing them to go in the Oscar tank when I move them to the bigger tank.

They look interesting, everything I read about them says they're very active and interesting to watch - which I'm keep to get in the new tank, along with the Oscars who are the colour and centre piece of the tank.

The descriptions suggest that they're capable of holding their own in a tank with Oscars/Cichlids when they're big enough to not fit in their mouth.
Richard "TheCaptain" Combes.

Remember: Piracy is a crime. Do not accept copies of The Captain.
TheCaptain

Postby jimejuice » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:36 am

Hi

I have two South America Puffers (SAP) Colomesus asellus that I feed bloodworm too along with the odd mussel. Plus I get some some snails from my LFS that they tuck into.

Plenty of reading here

http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/ug. ... C_Asellus/

Cute chaps I must say and totally leave the rest of the fish and plants in my tank alone....
Fish Keeping is Fun
jimejuice

Postby TheCaptain » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:11 pm

Thanks JimeJuice. Do you ever need to clip their teeth? That's the bit that makes me most nervous.

And - if I let them grow in another tank first, would they be able/capable of surviving oscars?
Richard "TheCaptain" Combes.

Remember: Piracy is a crime. Do not accept copies of The Captain.
TheCaptain

Postby jimejuice » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:46 pm

Hi Captain

So far I have not had to touch the teeth as they grind their teeth on the food that I supply them with however here is another link about Puffer dentistry.

http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/lib ... dentistry/

Unsure about keeping them with Oscars though.

But my two speed kings, as they like to bob about a bit seem to be fine with all fish and plants.

They especially love zooming about when I put new water in during the weekly water change. They like to have a bit of a flow shall we say in the tank.

Main reason I opted for this species of puffer was that water balancing seemed to me to be far easier for freshwater than brackish maintaining.
Fish Keeping is Fun
jimejuice

Return to Oddballs and Brackish Fish