Tankmate for a rather aggressive ctenopoma...

A forum to discuss the more unusual aquarium fish - Arowanas, Eels, Knifefish, Polypterus, Puffers, Rays and more...

Tankmate for a rather aggressive ctenopoma...

Postby emmer » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:12 pm

Hey, I'm really hoping you guys can help me out with this one....

I currently have a 200 litre tank which is home to an upside down catfish and a ctenopma kingsleyae. I really need to get some more fish in there as it looks rather empty at the moment, but the problem is...the ctenopoma is pure evil. I know it would be easier to find him a new home, but I have become rather attached and just couldn't allow it.

He will eat or attempt to eat anything smaller than him (he's probably about 10cm long and doesn't seem to be growing), and if the other fish aren't on the menu, he will chase and nibble them most of the time which usually doesn't end well.

There are loads of cool fish I would really love to have in there, but know I can't whilst he's still around. Right now, any fish that can live happily alongside this monster will be a good thing. Obviously, he's fine with bottom dwellers but I really want something else occupying the mid and top levels of the tank.

Well, I really hope someone has an idea or two as I have been working on trial and error (mainly error) for the past 2-3 years I've had him.
emmer

Postby shane77 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:09 pm

Hi, i used to have the same problem, got told either get a second cten or severum, chose the latter and they both got on fine, you could also try a male convict but these fish can have quite a bad attitude if proviked.
shane77

Postby emmer » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:27 am

Hi, thanks so much for your reply; I was starting to think nobody could give me a solution!

Another ctenopoma would be alright, but then I would have the same problem as soon as one kicks the bucket. Perhaps a serverum is the way to go! The only thing is, adult severums are pretty hard to find, and the younger ones would be gobbled up within seconds. Any idea where the best place to look for an adult severum would be?
emmer

Postby shane77 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:42 pm

Hi there again,
You could check your local fish supplier and see if they could special order a couple of mature severums for you(dont keep singles), the other option is a website called aquarist classified( www.aquaristclassified.co.uk), there are dealers but also people looking to move on larger fish for a price but sometimes free to good homes, i have been looking and there always seem to be severums looking to be rehomed.
The other option is most of the south american cichlids( most will hold there own depending on maturity) i kept ctenepoma with oscars and they never gave him any trouble at all.
shane77

Postby emmer » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:24 pm

Okay, I went to my LFS this afternoon and they had a couple of full-size oscars in stock. They seemed to think I should get 2, and that there would be more than enough space in my 200L tank, but now they're in there I'm not convinced. Ontop of that, I'm pretty sure they have their eyes on my upsidedown catfish for dinner...they keep stalking him until he realises and swims away. :-S Are they just being curious, or is it likely that food is on their mind?
The good news is, the ctenopoma is leaving them well alone!
emmer

Postby moocowmoneybox » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:19 pm

You may find that the Oscars are sizing the USD up as a snack.
If it can fit in their mouth then it is definately at risk.

If the Oscar does manage to get the USD then the oscar could be in trouble as well - the USD can extend its fins and the sharp tips get stuck in the other fishes insides. If that happens then you end up losing 2 fish.
Adrian
Rio 400 12/11/10

You dont need eyes to see, you need vision.
"There's someone in my head but it's not me..."
"Everybody has their vice"
moocowmoneybox

Postby moocowmoneybox » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:22 pm

Forgot to mention, 200L is not enough for 1 oscar, I have 1 in a Rio 400 (400L) and it seems to be enough.

Click the link in my signature to see my Oscar in the Rio 400
Adrian
Rio 400 12/11/10

moocowmoneybox

Postby emmer » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:34 am

Well this isn't good at all! Seems the shop were probably just looking to get rid of the Oscars rather than give them a suitable home. It's a shame really as they seem like nice fish. Would love to keep them but I don't have room for another, larger tank. Strangely, the catfish seems to be chasing them at the moment. Gutsy fellow that he is...
So I'm just going to go with what's best for all the fish here...what do you recommend? I should re-home the Oscars right? Is that reasonably easy to do? I doubt the shop would lake them back as he mentioned he was getting some coldwater fish put in that tank in the near future. What a pain!
emmer

Postby emmer » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:45 am

Not sure if anyone else is still awake and browsing the forum, but in case anyone is, I do have another tank but it's tiny (can't remember exactly how many litres, but think it's about 30) - might it be safer for catfish if I put him in there until the Oscars have gone? Or might that be even worse for him? Just thinking short term here...
emmer

Postby emmer » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:12 pm

Good news! The shop will take them back when I can next get there on Tuesday. Panic over...mostly.
emmer

Postby moocowmoneybox » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:07 pm

thats good news, lets hope you keep them fed enough that they dont need to snack.
Adrian
Rio 400 12/11/10

moocowmoneybox

Return to Oddballs and Brackish Fish