Cameroon armored shrimp

A forum to discuss the more unusual aquarium fish - Arowanas, Eels, Knifefish, Polypterus, Puffers, Rays and more...

Cameroon armored shrimp

Postby dazg324 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:08 am

After returning from MA I found myself with two of these little guys, and they're absolutely amazing!

Has anyone kept these before? I've read elsewhere some people struggled to feed them enough but I was wondering if anyone had any success? they are such amazing little creatures and have great character, I just want to keep them happy!
Last edited by dazg324 on Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3ft tank slowly up and running :)
dazg324

Re: Cambodian armored shrimp

Postby Carylnz » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:30 pm

I Googled them and it said "Do you mean Canadian armoured shrimp?" :lol:
Got any pics?
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Re: Cambodian armored shrimp

Postby dazg324 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:19 pm

ooops meant cameroon armored shrimp, will upload a piccy when they come out of hiding for some food
dazg324

Re: Cameroon armored shrimp

Postby dazg324 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:23 pm

Not the best of pics but here they are

dazg324

Postby ady » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:28 pm

it looks just like the shrimp i have ( came with another tank )....was wondering what type it is...now i have it confirmed.

had no problems with it at all....thought it died once,but when i scooped out the "carcass",i realised it had just slothed it's skin/shell.
it has a favourite little spot,but does wander around the whole tank sifting the water for food.
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Postby ady » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:49 pm

well the little fella aint starving,just had anothers slothing of it's exo skeleton...or shell...hah :wink:
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Postby dazg324 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:12 pm

From the research I've found, they are filter feeders and will eat the remains of any flakes that float past them, they're very shy, especially when they have shed they're shells. but great little characters. it's hard to believe that something so big can be so scared of anything going it's way!
dazg324

Postby ady » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:05 am

indeedy they are filter feeders...mine sits under the bogwood and sifts away quite happily......

as a treat for them and all the fish i occasionally feed dried brine shrimp eggs.....these are tiny and get dispersed all thru the tank..the shrimp comes out a bit more when they are in the water....sifting the water with gusto....bless em... :)
ady

Return to Oddballs and Brackish Fish