African Dwarf Frogs - Best Substrate?

A forum to discuss the more unusual aquarium fish - Arowanas, Eels, Knifefish, Polypterus, Puffers, Rays and more...

African Dwarf Frogs - Best Substrate?

Postby shrimpgirl » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:51 pm

Hi all

I'm new to the forum and to keeping an aquarium. I have just introduced 3 African Dwarf Frogs to my 180l community tank and they are really great little critters. I'm having problems feeding them though. I've been giving them frozen bloodworm (a whole block because of the fish eating it too) but they never seem to find it! If I try to put the food near to one of them it just swims away. I obviously can only put it where it can't float to the surface so chasing them round the tank is a bit pointless and probably stressful.

Tonight I fed the fish extra flakes and pellets so they had full tummies and then put the bloodworm in. The fish are leaving it alone but the frogs still haven't found it and I put it in about 2 hours ago. I know their eyesight is poor but I thought their sense of smell was good so why can't they find the food? The fish are going to start getting hungry again and end up eating the food before the frogs even know it's there. :roll:

Since I bought them Saturday I've only seen 1 frog manage to eat anything and I'm concerned they're going to starve! :shock: Anyone have any experience with these little guys? Am I worrying over nothing or should I be really concerned. Any suggestions of how to feed the frogs would be greatly appreciated by both me and Freddie, Freddy and Freddo!
Last edited by shrimpgirl on Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
9 x Tiger Barbs
3 x Albino Bronze Corys
3 x African Dwarf Frogs
Planted community aquarium
180l corner tank
Work in progress
shrimpgirl

Re: African Dwarf Frogs - Are they blind, timid or just dumb

Postby englishmx » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:09 pm

They are shy and timid, doubt they would feed at the same time as the fish.

Just an idea, but try feeding the dish, then afterwards, drop in maybe a few sinking fish pellets, they can't be eaten quickly and I am sure the frogs will find them :) They are great scavengers
Mike...
englishmx

Postby shrimpgirl » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:51 pm

Good idea. Thanx Mike. Maybe that's how they've been getting their food by finding the fish pellets that get left behind in favour of the bloodworm?
9 x Tiger Barbs
3 x Albino Bronze Corys
3 x African Dwarf Frogs
180l corner tank
Work in progress
shrimpgirl

Postby Wallace » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:38 pm

Shy is what they are. I had 3 in one of my tanks, and I'd only see them once or twice a week if I was lucky. They will feed on whatever is in the tank, well mine did anyway. They didn't get a look in on the Bloodworm as all the fish got to it first. I didn't put the block in the tank though, put it in a glass with some warm water and let it melt then kind of feed them individually.

They are fun little guys to watch though, especially when they swim to the surface and then dart back down, banging head first into whatever gets in the way.
184l Community tank | Juwel Vision 180 Planted tank in progress | 95l Temperate tank
60l Planted tank | 2 x 28l Aquastart 320 - 1 Rummynose tank and 1 Betta tank
Wallace

Postby shrimpgirl » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:57 pm

Ha ha yes I was quite shocked when I first saw one of the frogs smack into the ground! Of my 3, there are 2 that are quite active and bold. I see them swimming/walking around the tank or floating in their zen position quite a lot during the day. Only 1 is very timid and he hides all the time so I rarely see him.

The 2 bolder ones are now eating the bloodworm that I put in this afternoon. The fish still haven't bothered with it so they are currently stuffing their little froggy faces - I'm very relieved. No sign of the timid one though so hopefully there will still be something in the tank to eat when he finally shows himself.

Thanks for your replies. Have either of you used aquatic frog pellets? Good? Bad?
9 x Tiger Barbs
3 x Albino Bronze Corys
3 x African Dwarf Frogs
180l corner tank
Work in progress
shrimpgirl

Re: African Dwarf Frogs - Best substrate?

Postby shrimpgirl » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:55 pm

I'm thinking of changing to a sand substrate. Will the frogs be alright on sand? Are they better on pebbles?
9 x Tiger Barbs
3 x Albino Bronze Corys
3 x African Dwarf Frogs
180l corner tank
Work in progress
shrimpgirl

Re: African Dwarf Frogs - Best substrate?

Postby englishmx » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:33 am

shrimpgirl wrote:I'm thinking of changing to a sand substrate. Will the frogs be alright on sand? Are they better on pebbles?

The frogs will be fine with a sand substrate :)
Mike...
englishmx

Re: African Dwarf Frogs - Best Substrate?

Postby shrimpgirl » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:21 pm

Thanks Mike
9 x Tiger Barbs
3 x Albino Bronze Corys
3 x African Dwarf Frogs
180l corner tank
Work in progress
shrimpgirl

Return to Oddballs and Brackish Fish