Pygmy Puffer Fish

A forum to discuss the more unusual aquarium fish - Arowanas, Eels, Knifefish, Polypterus, Puffers, Rays and more...

Pygmy Puffer Fish

Postby shrimpgirl » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:52 pm

When at my local Maidenhead Aquatics I saw they had a new batch of gorgeous little Pygmy Puffer Fish. I am considering buying a small aquarium for these wonderful fish and wanted to know...

Will a 40l tank be big enough for 3 or 4 Pygmy Puffers? The guy at Maidenhead thinks it will be but I wanted thoughts from someone who's owned them.

Will any other freshwater critters (fish or other) be safe in with them of are they best alone? I was wondering if a couple of larger shrimp would be too big for them to bother with?

I'm assuming I'll have to do a fishless cycle to add them to a 'ready' aquarium. I have a 180l community aquarium so I can use a filter squeeze from that to get things going.

Can anyone tell me about their needs, habits, personalities etc. I'd love to know more about them from people who keep them rather than just from a book or web page.

Many thanks x
9 x Tiger Barbs
3 x Albino Bronze Corys
3 x African Dwarf Frogs
Planted community aquarium
180l corner tank
Work in progress
shrimpgirl

Re: Pygmy Puffer Fish

Postby Carylnz » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:49 am

If you are considering another tank why not set up another filter in your existing tank now? That way it will be cycling nicely until you get the answers to your questions.
I haven't kept these fish so can't help you there.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby shrimpgirl » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:10 am

Thank you, as ever Carylnz. I have managed to buy a nearly new up and running tank. Although the filter is new and unused (the seller is using a different filter in it currently, she is going to give me the filter medium from the running filter so hopefully I should have a tank ready to go. I thought I would run it for a week to make sure the levels are right and there are no problems. Do you think that will be long enough?

For info: I have spoken to people on a puffer forum and found some stuff online that all say Pygmy Puffers need 20l each so a 40l tank will house 2 puffers and be fully stocked. I'm very excited about getting these gorgeous little fish. :)
9 x Tiger Barbs
3 x Albino Bronze Corys
3 x African Dwarf Frogs
180l corner tank
Work in progress
shrimpgirl

Postby miskin » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:38 pm

if your going to run it for a week, it kind of negates having used media, as the bacteria will have no food and die off. Add a pinch of fishfood each day even with no fish in, so there is some ammonia for the bacteria to live off of.
Recovering MTS enjoyer

4ft tropical tank closed down due to building work

Planned Amazon catfish tank, and the tropical community brought back up.
miskin

Postby shrimpgirl » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:01 pm

Thanks Miskin. Yes, will do that.
9 x Tiger Barbs
3 x Albino Bronze Corys
3 x African Dwarf Frogs
180l corner tank
Work in progress
shrimpgirl

Return to Oddballs and Brackish Fish