Figure 8 behaviour

A forum to discuss the more unusual aquarium fish - Arowanas, Eels, Knifefish, Polypterus, Puffers, Rays and more...

Figure 8 behaviour

Postby star » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:01 am

My little puffer looks very happy, exploring, eating, etc. He likes to swim up and down the height of the glass whilst going along the length, if that makes sense. When he does, he seems to enjoy swimming upside down for a while, as well as on his side and doing loop-de-loops. Is this normal or is he just a little oddball? I've never kept one before and enjoy watching him, just curious :)
star

Re: Figure 8 behaviour

Postby Silk » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:00 am

I've got to be honest, the upside down and side swimming i've never seen from mine, or the loops, (Jelly!) but i can tell you that swimming non stop from one end to the other is pretty much all mine seems to do, they are incredibly active fish. As for the showmanship, unless its showing signs of being unwell i wouldn't worry to much, from all the fish i've seen these little babys seem to have the most playfull nature, despite some aggressive tendencies.

Mine likes to play hide and seek with my two Kribs, he'll swim up to their caves and hang about outside untill one of them comes to shoo him off, then go find somewhere else to hide near the opening. (theres a lot of plant cover) So they're definatley interesting fish to watch! :)
Silk

Re: Figure 8 behaviour

Postby star » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:26 pm

He looks fine and dandy :) I'll have to film him when he's diong loops, it is fun to watch! I've had him for almost a month now, although I've been away for a week of that but he seems to know where his food comes from now and isn't scared of me, just watches me :D He isn't bothered by any of my other fish, he's just intent on swimming lol. The hide and seek sounds fun to watch though! :)
star

Return to Oddballs and Brackish Fish