Figure 8 puffers, Diet issues.

A forum to discuss the more unusual aquarium fish - Arowanas, Eels, Knifefish, Polypterus, Puffers, Rays and more...

Figure 8 puffers, Diet issues.

Postby Silk » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:30 pm

Ok, so my little beastie has a voracious appetite, i was half expecting it, but i'm a little concerned.

When i first got him/her (i don't know the difference) it ate the flaked food fine and left the other fish alone, bigger and smaller, now however its all but ignoring the flake food and its far more predatory, so far i've only lost a single neon to it, but that's still not acceptable if it can be avoided.

I only raise the issue as every guide i've seen on the little beasties advises keeping snails of some sort in there for the puffer to grind his chops on, however the only snails i've found seem to be a cone shaped one in tanks at my LFS which they consider a pest, (They've gladly given me some for free, one of the assistants even gave me a bag and said "Help yourself" :P) and knowing they were pests i still introduced them in the hopes that my little 'sugar' would nibble on them and stem their growth, and or i'd invest in some thing else to stem their flow. However!, what must be 20, live snails have gone into my tank and none are now visible, he can't have eaten them all, and there isnt that much cover in the tank that i could loose 20 snails about the length of a fingernail.

Anyway just wanted some advice, are there snails i should look for to buy for him to eat?, could it be his beak is to long for the flake? does he just have a taste for neon?, lots of possibiles :(
Silk

Re: Figure 8 puffers, Diet issues.

Postby englishmx » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:03 am

Figure 8 puffer feeding issues?? No surprise there

Unfortunately this is often the case, lots documented about this, many of these poor fish are purchased taken home and subsequently slowly starve to death due to their fussy eating habits :cry:

Watch the neons, the Puffer may well work it's way through the lot!
Mike...
englishmx

Postby Apistogramma » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:23 pm

Hiya!
Yes he could easily have eaten them all - they do enjoy snails!
You can't feed them flake/dried foods as they will slowly starve. He ought to be on plenty of meaty foods, chopped mussel meat always goes down well as does prawn and the odd bit of whitebait. Cockles would be good as he gets bigger too, and any snails you can get your hands on! Look for a rounded belly, if it's flat or even inverted that's not a good sign!
As their meaty diet is messy keep up a good weekly water change routine and invest in a nitrate test kit to be on the safe side!
They are a freshwater puffer but that doesn't make them a community fish. If they are hungry, feel threatened and as they age and become mature enough to breed they tend to become a truly 'aggressive' fish. They work best in community tank if there is only a light level of stock, mainly barbs, fast moving tetras that are a good size and even sharks.
Becky

*Aimlessly drives around in the steam roller with Karena's now fairly blunt scissors...and Lisa's hedge trimmer*

Apistogramma

Postby Silk » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:57 am

Yeah i've done a fair bit of research into them to be fair, i didnt just jump in blind, but i didnt realize that they would eventually starve to death! thats far worse than the cost of the neons to be fair! (no offence neons!) The rest of his tankmates are i hope big/fast enough to cope with him, the only real target are the neons. (Three medium/large golden gourami, 6 rosey barbs, and some tetras who's name i continually forget, a trio of clown loaches and a garra who's true name i don't know, the store had three names listed. all of which have been left well alone, so at least untill he grows they seem suitable tankmates, thankfully i'm working on a tank just for him which will be ready long before he is, so i don't really think it'll be much of an issue.

Thankfully my LFS are happy to keep me supplied in the above mentioned snails, the problem is the little critters appetite, i made sure i collected between 20 and 30 today (i belive the total count was 27, but i could be wrong.) and after about 4 hours in the tank, well there arn't 7, let alone 27. (I had noticed his little pot belly its how i can tell he's been at the neons,) My only question would be the foods you mentioned, Mussel meat, prawn, whitebait am i right in guessing these arn't meant in the fish-food specific way?, (maybe with whitebait being the exception)
Silk

Postby englishmx » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:16 pm

Silk wrote:Yeah i've done a fair bit of research into them to be fair, i didnt just jump in blind

I wasn't insinuating that Mr Silk, I know you do your homework :)

Good to see your face again Becky, hope all is well
Mike...
englishmx

Postby Silk » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:35 pm

Ah i know that dude :) i just meant it in the sense that they are difficult to manage even having done the research, nothing i've seen before this post mentions the potentially fatal starvation issue. puffers is srs bsns.

But yeah i guess i'm lucky with the LFS and their pest snails. i'm tempted to set up a small 1ft tank i've had for ages (used to keep goldfish) purely to breed these ''pests''. I'll have to see if i can find out what species they are in order to find their conditions i guess.
Silk

Postby Apistogramma » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:37 pm

Silk wrote:My only question would be the foods you mentioned, Mussel meat, prawn, whitebait am i right in guessing these arn't meant in the fish-food specific way?, (maybe with whitebait being the exception)

Yes they are commonly fed to lots of predatory fish and most aquatic shops should stock them. If not you can get them from the supermarket!
Moving him into a new tank asap would be a good idea. Your other tank mates are only safe for as long as he doesn't feel inclined to grab hold of them and if he's hungry he will try sooner rather than later so the faster you can get hold of a nice, chewy, meaty alternative the better. :)

Hi Mike! :crazy2: Good to be here - glad to see some names I recognise after all this time!
Becky

*Aimlessly drives around in the steam roller with Karena's now fairly blunt scissors...and Lisa's hedge trimmer*

Apistogramma

Return to Oddballs and Brackish Fish