Puffer 8/Spotted Green Salt Vs. Plants

A forum to discuss the more unusual aquarium fish - Arowanas, Eels, Knifefish, Polypterus, Puffers, Rays and more...

Puffer 8/Spotted Green Salt Vs. Plants

Postby altixweb » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:19 pm

Hi there!

I'm going to get about 3 to 4 puffers for my new 55 gallon tank. I used to own a puffer but have moved since then.
I wanted to put plants (floor moss) in it this time and already have sand substrate for my flooring. The problem I see is that since I want to add salt, which they apparently live longer, the salt will probably kill the plants. Are there specific hardier FW mosses I can to the tank that will live or even thrive under the brackish water conditions? Or should I bother putting plants/moss in there? I've read that they love plants for settling down in but since I already have sand which is nice as soft for them, I'm not sure which way to veer with this tank.

Thanks in advance!
altixweb

Re: Puffer 8/Spotted Green Salt Vs. Plants

Postby Apistogramma » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:44 pm

Well done for reseaching and going for a brackish tank. It will certainly be beneficial in the long term. Just be aware that most brackish fish are sold from freshwater tanks so will need gradual acclimitisation to salt. This will also benefit the plants! Most puffers also don't need brackish water until they begin to mature.

Plants that will tollerate brackish conditions include elodea, anubias, monniera, cabomba, hornwort, cryptocorynes, java fern and grassy plants such as sagittaria and valisineria will do very well in brackish tanks and tend not to get eaten! Java moss should also be ok provided it is attached to wood or rock.

Remember that puffers love caves! Building lots out of wood and slate or rock looks great and they enjoy exploring and hiding from one another.
Becky

*Aimlessly drives around in the steam roller with Karena's now fairly blunt scissors...and Lisa's hedge trimmer*

Apistogramma

Postby altixweb » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:25 am

Hi Becky,

Thanks for the great info! Yes I read somewhere about the maturity level earlier today so that's good to know! I will assume when I buy them at about 1.5 in. - 2 in. they are pretty young, correct? I really like the java moss and also just read they are fine for brackish water. I bought 2 large mopani wood pieces today and a couple of 12" moss vines where you can twist and bend yourself around the wood lol I plan to buy a couple more large pieces of wood and set the moss up before I get the fish.

I'm really excited about setting this tank up! I've had a 75 gallon, 46 and 20 with cichilids and I know I'm entering a whole new world with the puffers.
I'm going to order the LED day/moonlight light fixture soon as well :shock:

Oh, another quick question... does the tank have to be species specific? Meaning, can I have another type of puffer in there or should they all be the same species puffer?

Thanks so much!
Vina
altixweb

Postby Apistogramma » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:54 pm

If you go for figure 8's they are actually a true freshwater puffer and get to around 3" so you won't need to worry about converting to brackish.
Green spotted puffers on the other hand get to twice the size and are certainly brackish so I'd start introducing salt from when they arrive as they are usually a good inch or so in the shop.
I wouldn't recommend mixing figure 8's in a community as they can get aggressive as they get older, or when they feel threatened and have the ability to shred other fish very quickly!
The same is true for spotteds but people do keep them in with things like mono's that are a brackish fish and can move very quickly if the puffers get nasty! However you can decide as you go along depending on how much decor you can get in the tank and how many puffers you want. Bear in mind the puffers are slower feeders requiring lots of hard shelled foods to wear down their teeth while things like monos are very fast feeders!
Have a browse on TTT's http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/Fishindx
Becky

*Aimlessly drives around in the steam roller with Karena's now fairly blunt scissors...and Lisa's hedge trimmer*

Apistogramma

Postby That_FishLady » Wed May 16, 2012 6:34 am

Apistogramma wrote:If you go for figure 8's they are actually a true freshwater puffer and get to around 3" so you won't need to worry about converting to brackish.

I just wanted to chime in and point out that the figure 8 (T. biocellatus) is not a true freshwater puffer. It's a low end brackish puffer, so in the range of 1.003 - 1.005 SG. :)
That_FishLady

Return to Oddballs and Brackish Fish