Help with acclimatising Crystal Red Shrimp

A forum to discuss the more unusual aquarium fish - Arowanas, Eels, Knifefish, Polypterus, Puffers, Rays and more...

Help with acclimatising Crystal Red Shrimp

Postby charliesangel » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:33 pm

Hi - popped into my lfs today and saw some crystal red shrimp in their display tank and thought they would make a lovely addition to my 60l so came home, did a little reading and after doing some research I'm happy I've got the right water conditions and fellow tank mates for them so I put 5 on order. BUT I've read they require different acclimatisation than standard fish but I can't seem to find any advice as to how. Can anyone please help with the best way to acclimatise them without causing them any stress?
Cardinals, Cories & CRS
charliesangel

Re: Help with acclimatising Crystal Red Shrimp

Postby m_attt » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:44 pm

they need perfect water conditions and within strict parameters, and fluctuations will not be good for them.

lots of info here

http://www.planetinverts.com/Crystal%20 ... hrimp.html

acclimatising here

http://www.planetinverts.com/Acclimatin ... hrimp.html
m_attt

Postby englishmx » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:36 am

If they arrive 'mail order' in breather bags.

Assuming you are getting them from your LFS you will be bringing the Shrimps home in a standard Poly bag, when I introduce new shrimps, just like new fish i simply float the bag in the tank to 'equalize' the temperature for 30 minutes, then open the bag, carefully net the Shrimps and transfer them into the tank :)
Mike...
englishmx

Postby m_attt » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:05 pm

englishmx wrote:

Assuming you are getting them from your LFS you will be bringing the Shrimps home in a standard Poly bag, when I introduce new shrimps, just like new fish i simply float the bag in the tank to 'equalize' the temperature for 30 minutes, then open the bag, carefully net the Shrimps and transfer them into the tank :)

for normal shrimps, if you read the link crystal red are very sensitive and need it doing differently
m_attt

Postby englishmx » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:17 pm

m_attt wrote:
englishmx wrote:

for normal shrimps, if you read the link crystal red are very sensitive and need it doing differently

Yes they are a more delicate species, but acclimatization/introduction into the tank is much the same, can't see anything in the links to suggest anything different for Crystals

Mike...
englishmx

Postby m_attt » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:31 pm

acclimatising them to the water not the temp, as in not floating the back for a bit then dropping them in the new water.

Acclimating with tank water:
(1) Take a cup to scoop your tank water into. Look at the amount of water in the bowl and estimate how much water volume you think 10% is. Take the cup with the new tank water and pour the equivalent 10% into the bowl that you estimated. Basically you are increasing the water by 10% inside of the bowl with new tank water, slowly acclimating the shrimp.
(2) Pour the same amount you poured the first time (original 10% estimate) into the bowl every 2 minutes until you have tripled the water that was originally in the bowl (total of 40-45 minutes).
(3) Afterwards your bowl water is 1/3 old and 2/3 new tank water.
Your shrimp are good to go at this point as they have adjusted to the temperate and water conditions of your new tank having followed these steps carefully.
m_attt

Postby englishmx » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:42 pm

Yes, sorry I didn't mention earlier, in principal adding tank water to the 'floating bag' at small intervals, as you would/should when adding any fish or inverts
Mike...
englishmx

Postby Apistogramma » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:44 pm

We have shipments of crystal red shrimp on a regular basis and our process for introduction to our tanks is as follows...
open the top of the bag, let them float until the water temp. feels the same inside and outside the bag, adding a little tank water when you open the bag and about halfway through the process, gently up-end the bag and let the shrimp swim out.
I wouldn't worry about netting fish out - if you had them from a tank that didn't have fish/shrimp in it with a disease there's nothing 'wrong' with adding water from a supplier and it saves a lot of stress for the animal - being chased, caught and wafted in the air is more likely to trigger problems than adding a small amount of their own tank water to your tank.

If in doubt don't buy...or quarantine! :D
Becky

*Aimlessly drives around in the steam roller with Karena's now fairly blunt scissors...and Lisa's hedge trimmer*

Apistogramma

Postby charliesangel » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:33 pm

All super helpful replies - thanks guys, though I would rather not add tghe water they came in to my tank water (just to be on the safe side). Having decided to go and buy the shrimp LFS is out of stock ARGH!

Might seem a daft question but would smaller younger CRS (say 1/4" size) be easier to acclimatise rather than say an older young shrimp (say 3/4" and over size) or no difference whatsoever? Just it's been mentioned to me that smaller ones are easier to acclimatise than bigger ones which seems a little odd to me!
Cardinals, Cories & CRS
charliesangel

Postby englishmx » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:41 pm

charliesangel wrote:
Might seem a daft question but would smaller younger CRS (say 1/4" size) be easier to acclimatise rather than say an older young shrimp (say 3/4" and over size) or no difference whatsoever? Just it's been mentioned to me that smaller ones are easier to acclimatise than bigger ones which seems a little odd to me!

Yes because they are not 'used' to the surroundings, the older they are the more established they become with their surroundings/water parameters etc...

Just be cautious with the small juvenile shrimps if they are sharing their new home with fish (even the small species), I explain it more here...

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15976
Mike...
englishmx

Postby charliesangel » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:54 pm

Oh I didn't look at it like that, not used their surroundings/water parameters yet. Hmm I have Cardinals in the tank and some young Cories. Neither of which could physically fit them in their mouth but peck and harrass them to death is a possibility :(
Cardinals, Cories & CRS
charliesangel

Postby cousin it » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:32 pm

The 2 main methods I use when introducing shrimp to my tanks are either the method Apisto mentioned or for the really expensive ones I switch to using a drip acclimatisation method, I run a length of air line with a small clamp on it to allow for the flow to be adjusted down from the main tank into a container holding the bag the shrimp travelled in, I then slowly drip feed water from the main tank into the container over the course of a few hours, from time to time I will remove some of the water from the holding container to make room for more water to drip in, once I am happy that the water they have travelled in is sufficiently diluted to the conditions in the tank they are going into they are then netted out and introduced to their new home which has the lights out.

The second method I only really use on higher grade shrimp most lower grades are sufficiently sturdy enough to cope with method 1.

To be honest CRS are best suited to a specific shrimp setup due to their exacting requirements, very rarely will they thrive in tanks with other inhabitants, species like cherry shrimp are a good alternative for tanks containing fish as they tend to be less timid when it comes to feeding time.
Daran

there's always one
cousin it

Return to Oddballs and Brackish Fish