red claw crabs

A forum to discuss the more unusual aquarium fish - Arowanas, Eels, Knifefish, Polypterus, Puffers, Rays and more...

red claw crabs

Postby jdt28 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:56 pm

Anyone have any experience of keeping red clawed crabs in their aquarium........any good/bad info much appreciated

Re: red claw crabs

Postby Rockfish » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:13 pm

There's a small crab sometimes sold under this name with a brownish body that's normally safe to keep with fish. However, there are some larger species that need mainly a land area with just a bit of water that are sold under this name sometimes, and other names such as rainbow crabs.

Assuming it's the smaller species, I found that they would eat most foods that sank to the bottom and didn't harm fish, apart from raising their claws to try and ward off fish and protect any food they had found! I've heard occasional reports that they've killed fish, but I think these are more likely to be cases where someone found it scavenging a fish that had already died (or confusion with one of the larger species).

They do tend to damage plants, so not recommended if you have a treasured planted tank!

They should be provided with some decor that breaks the water surface so they can get out of the water if they wish - but make sure there are no gaps large enough to get out of the tank itself, because they will!

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Site Admin

Return to Oddballs and Brackish Fish