Elelaphant Nose: Yes, Or No?

A forum to discuss the more unusual aquarium fish - Arowanas, Eels, Knifefish, Polypterus, Puffers, Rays and more...

Elelaphant Nose: Yes, Or No?

Postby greatwhitegoldfish » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:01 am

I have a 20 gallon high aquarium that houses 2 diamond tetras, 1 snow king pleco, 1 altispinosa ram, and 1 port hoplo. I really want an elephant nose, but I am afraid about the other fish. I can return the tetras and get credit for them if they can not live with them. But that is not the number 1 thing I would like to do. Can you please reply without any "well your tank is to small." Or "the fish you have arn't even compatible. Thank you.
greatwhitegoldfish

Re: Elelaphant Nose: Yes, Or No?

Postby Carylnz » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:21 am

All right then - NO.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Hampalong » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:57 am

greatwhitegoldfish wrote: Can you please reply without any "well your tank is to small."

Ok, no, because they are a shoaling fish... and... your tank holds about a tenth of the water required to keep a group successfully. And then there are the other requirements, like a substrate of mud, peace and quiet from tankmates, and a constant supply of live foods...

A Snow King in 20 gallons? Do you realise how big they get? (assuming it is one, which most aren't).
Hampalong

Postby markee » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:28 am

That's a NO from me as well.

As Hampalong said, your Snow King will grow big, a juvenile under 5" is ok in a 20-25g tank but as it grows it will have to be moved into at least a 90g tank.

Do you still have your African Brown Knife Fish?
markee

Postby greatwhitegoldfish » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:02 am

Well, actually, I found out he is a juvenile clown pleco. But I really appreciate your feedback. Is there something I could do to be able to get a elephant nose such as returning one of the fish? (I refuse to return the hoplo catfish for he is my favorite)
greatwhitegoldfish

Postby greatwhitegoldfish » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:03 am

Also, my ABK has bean moved to another tank of mine, so he is totally out of the picture.
greatwhitegoldfish

Postby Carylnz » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:08 am

This is hard to answer with your request for no answers like "well your tank is to small."
A single elephantnose needs around 200L minimum. If you want a group of them (and you would have to have 5+) you need something much bigger again.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Carolann » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:01 pm

Sometimes in life we have to look , admire, but can't own.
Carolann

Return to Oddballs and Brackish Fish