puffer fish teeth?????

A forum to discuss the more unusual aquarium fish - Arowanas, Eels, Knifefish, Polypterus, Puffers, Rays and more...

puffer fish teeth?????

Postby akatheswede » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:37 pm

I have a couple of green spotted puffers and the one's teeth are growing to the point that he is having a hard time eating. I feed them baby shrimp, bloodworms, and sometimes a ghost shrimp to watch them hunt. The one is just fine, but I feel the other might begin to decline if I can't get his teeth to scale down. Any help would be great.
akatheswede

Postby krekra » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:46 pm

Puffer fish need hard things to chew on to keep their teeth short. Snails make a great snack. They like them and the shells will help with tooth growth. In the case of your current GSP you may need to trim his teeth :shock:

I am not a puffer keeper so I have never tried this myself but here is a link that may help you

http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/lib ... y/#more-79

before you try this give it a day for some other members to respond as someone else may have a better plan for you. This is a UK based forum so most are currently sleeping away!!

BTW hello and welcome to the forum!

Karena
Karena

Just because you can doesnt always mean you should!
krekra

Postby Apistogramma » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:36 am

Sorry to thread steal but FISH DENTISTRY!? :shock:
Becky

*Aimlessly drives around in the steam roller with Karena's now fairly blunt scissors...and Lisa's hedge trimmer*

Apistogramma

Postby David » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:07 am

Apistogramma wrote:Sorry to thread steal but FISH DENTISTRY!? :shock:

Ya ha, alot of puffers need it.
David

Postby Apistogramma » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:28 pm

I still look like this at the thought > :shock:
Becky

*Aimlessly drives around in the steam roller with Karena's now fairly blunt scissors...and Lisa's hedge trimmer*

Apistogramma

Postby David » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:30 pm

Apistogramma wrote:I still look like this at the thought > :shock:

Hehe, well not all puffers, ones like dwarf puffers. Boy that would be a job cutting teeth of an 1" fish. :oops: 8)
David

Postby akatheswede » Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:53 pm

I've gathered my tools and clove oil I will let you know how this goes as soon as everything is done. Thanks for the help
akatheswede

Postby krekra » Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:05 pm

when you use the clove oil just put a drop r two in at a time. Soem fish can be very sensatie to it I am told. You need to have fresh water available to recover him in as well.........I have to be honest I am a bit nervous for you. Make the snip quick. If you are putting pressure on the nippers and they move or you twist you can crack the teeth too low. Its worth a try as other wise he will starve to death.

In the future ofer things like snails and mussels with the shells to help keep the teeth short.

Good luck....wish I could help :?
Karena

krekra

Postby Apistogramma » Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:34 pm

Yes hope all goes well.
Becky

Apistogramma

Postby akatheswede » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:59 am

Everything has gone well so far. It was a lot harder than I thought. The teeth allow very little room for the tools. I had to make a few nips at the teeth and then work downward. If anyone should have to try this on a small puffer get the smallest set of cuticle clippers possible I got mediums. you have to watch out for the side of the lip with the back side of the clippers. I used the four drops of clove oil per liter and it took about 60 seconds to stop all fin movement. At that point he had no control of buoyance but didn't go belly up. I went ahead and scooped him with the net and then started. I actually had to go though the process twice to get the teeth down enough where I believe he can now eat and keep them ground down. The second time around (about 30 minutes later) he went out much faster. I felt movement while clipping after about 20-25 second out of the water and put him back to wet him then continued for 10-15 seconds. Then back into the main tank within a breeding/containment net. this allowed him protection and maximum water movement for waking up. He has begun to eat a little but I am holding the food back a little as to not have him gorge himself. I plan on keeping him in the net for a few days so he won't be competing for food and giving him a good amount of shrimp. This way the mollies and other puffer will not be able to keep him from eating. I will let you all know how this is going in a few more days thanks again for the help.
akatheswede

Postby krekra » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:08 am

I am glad things went well!! Good job!!

if you have to do it again the only thing I would add is to do it under water so if he puffs up he doesnt take on air. This can lead to major problems for them....or so I am told...again I am not a puffer keeper :?

Keep an eye on him in the net. it may be more stressful then helpful if he feels trapped and cant swim around enough.

I am so glad it worked well!!

K
Karena

krekra

Postby Apistogramma » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:58 am

That must be such a relief! Good job!
Agreed about getting him out of the net if possible...you can target feed him if he's not getting his fair share. :D
Becky

Apistogramma

Return to Oddballs and Brackish Fish