BGK etc!

A forum to discuss the more unusual aquarium fish - Arowanas, Eels, Knifefish, Polypterus, Puffers, Rays and more...

BGK etc!

Postby uccellolee » Mon May 19, 2008 12:17 pm

Hey TTT.

i was wondering how fast a black ghost knife fish grows?

i had one, but someone on hear told me to send it back because my tank was too small, i realise this and will get a bigger tank one day! i just want to know how fast they grow :).

and also with clown loaches, how fast do they grow?

Are they compatable with BGK's?

What other specific fish, especially oddball fish can be kept with a BGK.

loads of questions! lol im sorry! im not a question answerer i just seem to ask loads of questions!!

any help appreciated! lol
male siamese fighter fish = 1
female " " = 1
neons =3
guppies (male) = 2

downsizing for move :'( down to a 2 ft tank :'(
uccellolee

Postby chaoz » Mon May 19, 2008 11:03 pm

clown loaches grow to around 6 inches pretty quick then there growth slows down.

they need a minimum of a 6ft tank!

its ok saying "il get a larger tank when they get big" but in most cases its too late and the damage is done by then,they become stunted and can die a slow death.

imo get your large tank asap then get fish that grow/have ample room to grow.

bit like saying il get bigger shoes once my feet are in that much pain in a smaller size.
Unofficial TTT fish rehomer :)

im just a clown loach addict!!!

chaoz

Postby uccellolee » Sat May 24, 2008 3:25 pm

okay then thanks for that, do you know if they would be compatible with a black ghost knifefish?im thinking for this as when we move i hope to get a bigger tank, 6 ft by at least 2 ft if i can afford it lol, and just reasearching because i love BGKs and clown loaches and oddball fish in general lol :) dont want to make anymore mistakes than i have already with starting fish!

trying to sort out an algae problem currently lol!
female " " = 1
neons =3
guppies (male) = 2

uccellolee

Postby chaoz » Sat May 24, 2008 6:17 pm

im not sure if there compatable having never owned a bgk.

if your funds dont stretch to a new 6x2x2 set up try a 2nd hand set up the larger tanks go for rediculasly low prices compared to a new set up.

http://www.aquarist-classifieds.co.uk/p ... _cat59.php
Unofficial TTT fish rehomer :)

im just a clown loach addict!!!

chaoz

Postby uccellolee » Sun May 25, 2008 12:33 am

okay will look on there for future refference!

anyone out there who has owned a BGK?? and knows whats comparible with one? ive looked on the internet and other sites and i cant find out anything about this fish and its compatability! all i know is that it grows to about a foot or longer and that its a predatory fish
female " " = 1
neons =3
guppies (male) = 2

uccellolee

Postby uccellolee » Mon May 26, 2008 8:14 pm

aaaaaaaaaany one??? :(
female " " = 1
neons =3
guppies (male) = 2

uccellolee

Postby krekra » Tue May 27, 2008 2:17 pm

I moved your topic to the oddballs forum so you might have more luck finding someone with a BGK
Karena

Just because you can doesnt always mean you should!
krekra

Postby uccellolee » Tue May 27, 2008 8:10 pm

thanks lol =]
female " " = 1
neons =3
guppies (male) = 2

uccellolee

Postby TheLostprophet » Thu May 29, 2008 2:49 pm

As far as im aware Ghost knife fish are compatible with most fish apart from smaller ones which they will eat (neons, guppies etc). Im not an expert with these though, my friend had one in his 4 foot tank but it didnt last very long so i dont know if they are a sensitive fish.
Fluval duo deep 600
2 Black Widow Tetras
1 male dwarf Gourami
8 neon tetras
2 Ottos
1 clown plec
1 Dwarf African Frog
TheLostprophet

Postby uccellolee » Thu May 29, 2008 5:12 pm

okay thanks!
female " " = 1
neons =3
guppies (male) = 2

uccellolee

Postby ric » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:11 pm

hi

My bgk was 4"-5" long when i got it exactly a year ago, it lived in a 4ft tank until april this year with cardinals, zebra and yo yo loaches, various plecs, angels, rams, kribs with no problems apart from the odd fish disappearing overnight.

ITs now in a 6.5ft tank and is 10"-12" long and doing great i would say its very hardy survived white spot and fungus outbreaks in my tank.

I spent all my savings getting the big tank and it was so worth it especially when i released it for the first, a great sight watching it explore all the extra space. :D
ric

Postby uccellolee » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:37 pm

oh cool thanks :) so basically need to get a nice big tank if i want to get one? =] and apart from the smaller fish i can keep anysort for fish with them? (i would have peaceful large fish from similar to same water conditions)

i was thinking clown loaches but i guess that they might not be able to live in the same environment, but if anyone knows different that would be cool :)

thanks ric!
female " " = 1
neons =3
guppies (male) = 2

uccellolee

Postby ric » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:24 pm

I see no problems with clown loaches except maybe the size issue, zebra loaches are very rewarding also polka dot loaches are very attractive. Yo Yo loaches in my experience are little buggers!

The only problem il mention is since the move to the big tank i do struggle ensuring the bgk gets enough food mainly because by the time it realises the foods there the others have eaten most of it.

Ive lost 4 cardinals in about 2 weeks but i also introduced a new sub adult angel around the same time the cardinals started disappearing so the bgk could be the culprit or not :roll:

Up until about 7" it had a plastic mangrove thingy with a hole in the middle so it could get within a couple inches from the surface in shade so i feed it a full frozen bloodworm cube through a pipette every day this could be why it grew so quick!

Hope this helps as these are really cool fish that not many people keep due to size but im really glad i got it even if i only see it one a week :D
ric

Postby uccellolee » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:05 pm

thanks it does help =]

i do really like the look of them and hope we move to a place nice enough for a nice 6 footer tank for some nice oddball fish :) BGK being one of them indeed :)
female " " = 1
neons =3
guppies (male) = 2

uccellolee

The Dark Knight BGK

Postby Porink » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:31 am

I think the BGK will be compatible with almost all fish except fish that small like platy,guppy,tetra,etc..
Don't believe on them though the fish a little bigger than their mouth,they still can eat them..And be careful of putting other predatory fish..

I had put them together with Polypterus.. But the Polypterus became major and masacre 5 from 6 of my BGK though the BGK was bigger..
One of them had its guts torn up,and some of them had eaten alive till dead..

My advice is that be careful in water quality,sometimes when something's wrong like water changes/other thing BGK will go to surface or lying in substrate/plant.
The right thing when you first put BGK that it will hide or have a fight if more than one to protect their teritory.
The sure thing is I haven't they dead because this fight though read from other reference they may.

I had them for about 6 months and eat them with BW and each month they're growing about 0.5cm to 1cm.. They're just eat a little..
Porink

Next

Return to Oddballs and Brackish Fish