polypterus help!

A forum to discuss the more unusual aquarium fish - Arowanas, Eels, Knifefish, Polypterus, Puffers, Rays and more...

polypterus help!

Postby khkairifan » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:25 pm

I'm having a problem that I hope someone can help me with. The polypterids are my favorite fish and I have had several species over the years with no problems whatsoever. I've had my 75 gallon tank for a while now with a p. endlicheri and a large sailfin pleco, and the endlicheri was thriving. I finally found an ornate bichir of the right size ( I've wanted one for almost ten years now!) but now he seems to be shredding the endlicheri's fins! They don't show any aggression during the day, sometimes they will even lay on the bottom of the tank together, but in the morning more shredded fins. The ornate doesn't have a mark on it. I keep them well fed with rosies, feeder comets, and some frozen foods, and I have added some more aquarium salt, stress coat and have been treating the water with melafix. Could this be mistaken identity for food at night? I am also looking for a bigger tank. Please help as I don't want to lose my endlicheri! Thank you!
khkairifan

Postby krekra » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:29 am

I am moving this to the oddballs forum but I will leave a shadow here too so it can be seen from both spots

K
Karena

Just because you can doesnt always mean you should!
krekra

Postby Rockfish » Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:19 pm

Polypterus will sometimes bite at each other, and other fish, in a mistaken attempt to snatch a meal, but persistant fin damage like that sounds like deliberate aggression.

This doesn't usually happen persistantly with Polypterus, but some individuals just seem more aggressive than others. It may be that they'll settle down and the biting will stop, but it depends how long that takes versus the level of fin damage that's being done.

Their bodies are very tough, so the fins are the main vulnerable bit. It's unlikely that one would kill the other (as long as the sizes are similar), and the fins will usually heal ok.
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

Fins

Postby Porink » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:46 am

In my experience sometimes it takes a long long times for polypterus' fins to fully recover..
Mine(15cm senegal & ornate) sometimes bite each other and when its just recovered they start biting each other again..

But the sure thing is they never kill each other,they're sometimes just showing a little agrression..
More over the common pleco in that tank never fully recover its caudal & dorsal fin..
Porink

Postby moocowmoneybox » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:27 am

what sort of ornament layout have you got?

are there seperate covered areas that they can go to for some time away from each other?
Adrian
Rio 400 12/11/10

You dont need eyes to see, you need vision.
"There's someone in my head but it's not me..."
"Everybody has their vice"
moocowmoneybox

Return to Oddballs and Brackish Fish