Shrimp V Plec

A forum to discuss the more unusual aquarium fish - Arowanas, Eels, Knifefish, Polypterus, Puffers, Rays and more...

Shrimp V Plec

Postby rat » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:01 pm

Last year I had a shrimp (amano? I think) he was lovely, quiet at first I thought he had died but he was just hiding!
He got bigger and was out every day especially at feeding time to run out for a sinking tablet which he then ran under a log to eat :D

He got a lot braver and started chasing my plec who on a couple of occassions was caught chasing him back.

Unfortunately I have to say shrimpy was found dead, I have my suspicions about the cause of death - plec.

This was last year, I am getting a 5ft, 450ltr tank in a few weeks I currently have a 180ltr, is it worth trying again with a shrimp or do you think its a bad idea. I don't want the same to happen again but maybe with more space at the bottom and a few hidey holes they will be ok?

Any thoughts?
rat

Postby TheLostprophet » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:17 pm

As far as im aware shrimp dont seem to live that long, perhaps if you got a little crew of them it would be better and they may breed?! I quite fancy getting shrimp again but my puffer would probably just use them as expensive snacks
Fluval duo deep 600
2 Black Widow Tetras
1 male dwarf Gourami
8 neon tetras
2 Ottos
1 clown plec
1 Dwarf African Frog
TheLostprophet

Postby alip01 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:21 pm

Shrimp generally live for a couple of years. Some breed in freshwater, however these are often the smaller varieties, such as Cherry shrimp. Whilst Amano shrimp may produce eggs in freshwater, they do not develop properly. Shrimps also generally do better in groups. :wink:
alip01

Postby rat » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:43 pm

Once I've got the new tank I might try with a few then and see how they go, I'll set a few pots into the sand for them to hide in.
My shop would be quite good at taking them back if there were any probs, not sure how I'd retrieve them once in the new tank though!!

I always presumed they were happier alone as there always seems to be one or two with a limb missing in the shops,I imagined shrimp battles! I guess they are transport injuries :(
rat

Postby Apistogramma » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:26 pm

If they have the space they ought to be fine - they can move quickly when they want to! It's good to feed the fish seperately at opposite ends of the tank too - they soon get used to where 'their' food appears and you can prevent them from arguing over the same bits.
Becky

*Aimlessly drives around in the steam roller with Karena's now fairly blunt scissors...and Lisa's hedge trimmer*

Apistogramma

Postby elblando » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:38 pm

i have one tank with amano shrimp in and they are excellent cleaners of brown algea if you have live plants. we have 9 and we had one die a while ago. The main problem i have found with the amano is they tend to be expensive and can't breed in fresh water, their offspring need brackish water to make it to adulthood.
I have a second tank with cherry shrimp in. These grow to a similar size as amano and have a similar life span. They are also harmless to fish as they don't have pincers. I bought the cerry shrimp from Ebay. they were £10 for twelve shrimp with £6.50 postage. They all arrived alive and healthy and were only small (about 5mm to 1cm) so they should live quite a while. Due to there small size some fish took an interest in them and i probably lost a few but there are plenty of hiding places the fish can't reach and the shimp have started living there. The best thing about cherry shrimp is they can breed in fresh water. The fish should continue to keep the numbers down when they do breed but hopefully a few should survive and continue to keep my tank stocked with helpful little cleaners.

In both tanks we have a plec and cory and there never seems to be conflict between species. the shrimp seem to know when to keep their distance and clean alot of places the fish can't reach.
elblando

Return to Oddballs and Brackish Fish