african dwarf frog(not a fish i know)

A forum to discuss the more unusual aquarium fish - Arowanas, Eels, Knifefish, Polypterus, Puffers, Rays and more...

african dwarf frog(not a fish i know)

Postby turgleburgle » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:01 am

didnt know where else to put this,but does any1 know about them or can suggest why ive caught my froggy(malcolm) at the top of the tank sometimes with his head out of the water sometimes just below,sittin for ages not just gettin a quick grab of air but just sittin. he kind of gets himself behind the wires of the lights so he doesnt sink down.before now ive never even seen him come off the bottom but just these couple of days he wont go down?
turgleburgle

Postby san-ho-zay » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:50 am

I don't know much about African dwarf frogs but I've had garden ponds with aquatic frogs and that's what they do. They are amphibians after all and have lungs not gills. They have to come up to the surface for air.

Do you have fish? If your water quality is OK and the fish aren't showing any signs of low oxygen I wouldn't worry too much about it. In fact if the frog likes to rest at the surface I'd give him something to climb up or rest on. Make sure there are other adequate hiding spaces in the tank too - in case he's doing this to hide. Obviously make sure the hood of the tank is secure.

These were about the best articles I could find ...

http://www.aqua-fish.net/show.php?h=africandwarffrogs
http://frogworld.net/african-dwarf-frog/
http://www.brettb.com/TropicalFish_AquaticFrogs.asp

The only other thing that occurs to me is to ask what your water temperature is? Is it warm enough? Or is he trying to get some warmth off the lights?
Richard
san-ho-zay

Postby turgleburgle » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:05 pm

Temp is about 26 i hav him in with 4 platys he maybe has just started to come round,had him about 4 weeks like,he sits himself either on top of the filter with his head up or slides behind the wires to keep him self there.just used to him hidin at the bottom
turgleburgle

dwarf frog just hanging out

Postby tinasmith1971 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:39 am

My dwarf does this every once in a while. At first, I nudged him with my finger because I thought he was stuck or dead but he seemed to just be hanging out. Have had him for almost 2 years and he seems to do this behavior every once in a while. I wouldn't be concerned but then again I'm not an expert.
30 gallon tank -Moms Tanks
1 blue gourami
4 blood barbs
1 dwarf frog
1 plecko

30 gallon tank- Sons Tank
1 very happy Puffer fish
tinasmith1971

Postby turgleburgle » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:04 pm

just noticed today that he seems a bit chubbyier,will that be because hes not getting much swimming in or could it be something else?
turgleburgle

Postby tinasmith1971 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:26 pm

What are you feeding him/her and how much?
1 blue gourami
4 blood barbs
1 dwarf frog
1 plecko

1 very happy Puffer fish
tinasmith1971

R.I.P Malcolm

Postby turgleburgle » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:41 pm

came home from work tonite and malcolm has gone belly up,poor little guy not sure what happened to him but hes gone :cry:
turgleburgle

Postby tinasmith1971 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:23 pm

Oh I am so sorry. I wonder what happened? Do you have a local fish store in the area? Maybe you can bring some of the tank water in to have tested.
Are the other fish ok? Sometimes you can actually over feed dwarf frogs, thats why I was asking how much and what type of food you were feeding him. I hope you decide on getting another one as long as water temp is good and water quality is good. They are fun little guys. Again, sorry the little guy went belly up.
1 blue gourami
4 blood barbs
1 dwarf frog
1 plecko

1 very happy Puffer fish
tinasmith1971

Postby turgleburgle » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:54 pm

the fish are all fine,used to put in a block of bloodworm a day coz the fish seemed to munch most of it,i think ill take sample to get tested tomorrow,think i will get another one there nice to watch,not that he did much like,lol
turgleburgle

Postby tinasmith1971 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:11 pm

Yeh, mine only came out of hiding when it was dinner time or when he was chillin at the waters edge but when he did come out he was a riot to watch.
Good luck!
1 blue gourami
4 blood barbs
1 dwarf frog
1 plecko

1 very happy Puffer fish
tinasmith1971

Buying Dwarf Frogs (Urgent)

Postby scottishshooter » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:00 pm

Hi
I live in the Norht East of scotland and i am trying my hardest to locate a shop/website where i am able to buy a pair of Dwarf Frogs. So far i havnt found a single shop or website that sells them and was wondering if anybody on these forums could help me?

Regards
Alex
scottishshooter

Where to find Dwarf Frogs

Postby tinasmith1971 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:08 pm

I live in the USA and they are available in most fish stores. I don't think they can send them over seas. Wish I could help you.
1 blue gourami
4 blood barbs
1 dwarf frog
1 plecko

1 very happy Puffer fish
tinasmith1971

african dwarf frog

Postby dizzycat » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:34 am

I have one of these cute guys and mine quite often hangs around the top of the tank resting on the plants with his nose out of the water especially when he has been a little greedy! you do have to make sure that they cant get out of the tank though as I found mine on the floor one morning :o but he was fine after rinsing off the fluff he had gathered, they can get out of the tiniest gaps. Lisa.
2 Albino zebra dannios, 1 bubble molly, 1 sailfin molly, 1 pygmy puffer, 1 bristlenose catfish, 1 African dwarf frog.
dizzycat

Re: Buying Dwarf Frogs (Urgent)

Postby lainey » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:40 pm

[quote="scottishshooter"]Hi
I live in the Norht East of scotland and i am trying my hardest to locate a shop/website where i am able to buy a pair of Dwarf Frogs.

HI,

I live in Glasgow and have been thinking of setting up a small maybe 10 gallon tank for my son so he can get a couple of these little frogs.

I know it has been some time since you posted this but just wanted to know if you found anywhere that does them? There is a place online (which is where i'm thinking of getting them from) called Direct Tropicals. I have bought fish from there before and they have been very beautiful healthy fish. They sell adf's for around £3 -£4, and although I was dubious about ordering fish online they have all lasted well. :D
male guppies, male endler's, oto's, dwarf shrimp, male fighter, angels, dwarf gourami, opaline gourami, lyretail swords, pleco's, dalmation mollies. (not all in same tank!)
lainey

Return to Oddballs and Brackish Fish