Fresh water Rays

A forum to discuss the more unusual aquarium fish - Arowanas, Eels, Knifefish, Polypterus, Puffers, Rays and more...

Fresh water Rays

Postby TheCaptain » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:23 am

Morning all,

I've put a post in the newbie forum, and prety much accepted that rays aren't going to happen... but everyone needs a dream right? Mine is keeping rays!

So - does anyone keep freshwater rays? If so, whats the minimum set up you'd advise? A set up that could last a few (3 or so) years before upgrading?

Any advice on types of ray?... solo or community? ... obviously, I've done lots of research... :P It's just so hard - I go to the pages with Rays on, and get distracted by the pictures.

And confused by all the numbers - they seem to contradict themselves on most sites I've found?
TheCaptain

Postby TheCaptain » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:31 am

http://thetropicaltank.co.uk/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=5550

Found this link - which confirms I'm probaby not going to be able to get a ray for my current tank... but still, I'd like to know the minimum requirements.

Despite the rather under prepared post I made initially, I actually have done a fair amount of reading on them. I know they're poisonous and grow big... but information seems to contradict from the places I'm reading.

Some places say a large tank, but it can be shallow... some say deep tanks are requried. :s Some say 2 ft wide, then go on to talk about the 3ft wide rays.... :s I'm lost....
TheCaptain

Postby Switch01252 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:59 pm

my friend has a stingray in his tank its a very large 1000 litre tank the tank mates he has in it is

angel fish rubber eel red tip shark silver shark puffer plec and a turtle which he has since got rid of but he is always replacing the angel fish since his stingray has a certain place in his stomach for him lol so its a bit of community but keep big fish with them
Steve
Switch01252

Postby Apistogramma » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:50 pm

This article is an interesting one...and yes it has pictures!
Becky

*Aimlessly drives around in the steam roller with Karena's now fairly blunt scissors...and Lisa's hedge trimmer*

Apistogramma

Postby RichC » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:10 pm

Sent you an IM chief
8x3x3 ft Tank with 1x Pacu, 1x Lima Shovelnose Cat, 1x Motoro Stingray, 1x Tiger Knifefish, 1x Peacock Bass, 1x Jaguar Cichlid, 4x Blue Acaras, 4x Demon Eartheaters, 4x Red Necked Severums, 4x Green Terrors

6x2x2 ft Tank with assorted Malawi cichlids
RichC

Return to Oddballs and Brackish Fish