suggestions please?

A forum to discuss the more unusual aquarium fish - Arowanas, Eels, Knifefish, Polypterus, Puffers, Rays and more...

suggestions please?

Postby jonboy8465 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:41 am

hi all i have a spare 48x12x15 tank and would like to keep a puffer(s). something ugly and interesting would be nice. sorry puffer fans perhaps ugly is the wrong word but you know what i mean.
If at first you don`t succeed go and have another beer.
jonboy8465

Postby Apistogramma » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:44 pm

Have a look at the different species and housing requirements in the fish index here for some idea.
Becky

*Aimlessly drives around in the steam roller with Karena's now fairly blunt scissors...and Lisa's hedge trimmer*

Apistogramma

Postby jonboy8465 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:42 pm

thanks for the tip. i was hoping for some first hand experience from some puffer keepers, any of you out there?
jonboy8465

Postby Rockfish » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:19 pm

Some of the "ugly but interesting" puffers would include the species that are normally ambush predators.

These include the pignose puffer (T. suvatti) and the humpback puffer (T. palembangensis). The Bailey's or Hairy puffer (T. baileyi) is also of a similar type, but I've found these a little more active and certainly interesting. However they are not common and tend to be expensive.

The 'downside' of most of these types of puffers is that they are not generally very active except when seeking food, so you have to appreciate them for their unusual nature - if you prefer a more active fish then these aren't the way to go.

South American puffers are more like the 'classic' puffer shape and a lot more active if you prefer that. Or you could keep a decent sized group of dwarf puffers in that size tank, which are also very active.
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

puffers

Postby puffergirl62 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:16 pm

I have several different puffers, and I agree with Rockfish, as I have the Pignose puffer (M suvattii), but they are not very active at all, and you cannot keep any other fish with them at all, none, because they will indeed eat any that you put in the tank. Don't forget, they have a beak and can (and will) hurt something that is in the tank with them.
I also have Red-Eye puffers, they are pretty (I think anyway) and they are a little more active, although I think most puffers tend to be more active in the evening. I've installed moonlights in most of my tanks, so I can see what's going on after the main lights are out. It's enough to trick the fish into thinking it's dark.
Anyway, whichever puffer you decide on PLEASE do some research and find out what they need before you buy one. I think too many people just impulse buy puffers and then they realise they aren't the right fish for them. I love puffers, they are very intelligent and special little fish, but they aren't the fish for everyone.
puffergirl62

Postby jonboy8465 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:36 pm

thank you for your replies. just so you know where i`m coming from I have kept fish for several years, when i started i was like most people no idea of cycling and wrong fish in wrong size tank etc. i`ve now converted my garage into a fish room with 25 tanks that were divided up into breeding chambers for guppies and ancistrus. I now want to move on to just having display tanks and as puffers have always fascinated me i thought i would give them a go. at the moment i have posts on 3 different forums trying to get as much information from puffer owners as i can before i decide on which ones to go for, the uglier the better!!
jonboy8465

Return to Oddballs and Brackish Fish