Puffer fish

A forum to discuss the more unusual aquarium fish - Arowanas, Eels, Knifefish, Polypterus, Puffers, Rays and more...

Puffer fish

Postby Briana1718 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:11 am

Ok so, I am new. I may be posting this in the wrong section if so I apologize!

I set up a 29 gallon tank, gravel, live plants, plastic plants, and places to hide. I have had my water sitting for a week. The levels are all fine (got it tested at a petstore) I am ready for fish.

I really wanted a saltwater tank, but that is just way too expensive, and from what peopel say hard to maintain. So...I saw that there were freshwater puffer fish. I want one, but they do not sell them in the two petstores where I live. Does anyone know where I can get them, what other fish I should keep in there with them, do I have to add salt to their water and if so how would the other fish react to that?

I like the really pretty colored fish (thats why I wanted saltwater) Any suggestions anyone has will be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Briana1718

Postby Wolfgirl » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:20 am

Actually, just letting the water sit for a week does not properly prepare the tank for fish, despite what many fish shops will tell you. I would suggest reading the following link, to help to prevent fish deaths.

Beginners

Please pay particular attention to the Cycling link. Unfortunately, you are not yet ready for fish, unless your tank is fully planted with live plants.

Freshwater puffers should be kept apart from other fish; they do not make good community fish. If you have any questions about what you've read or have been told, please feel free to post them. :)
Last edited by Wolfgirl on Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't let your mind wander. It's too small to be let out on its own.
~John Wagner
Wolfgirl
Site Admin

Postby Paul Williams » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:21 am

Check the "Oddball and Brackfish" forum. There's quite a few topic's in there on puffers. I'm sure you'll be able to find some good information.

Here's a link http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/phpBB/ ... m.php?f=12

Paul
Paul Williams

Postby Briana1718 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:24 am

thank u!
Briana1718

Return to Oddballs and Brackish Fish