my new pignose!

A forum to discuss the more unusual aquarium fish - Arowanas, Eels, Knifefish, Polypterus, Puffers, Rays and more...

my new pignose!

Postby jonboy8465 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:28 am

Hi everyone I got myself a pair of suvattii yesterday I had to do a 300 mile round trip but i got them. They will be living in a 4 ft tank with a sump, sand substrate and some rock caves with a few hardy plants. my question is what can i use in the water to help them settle in as they will be in shock and susceptible to disease? I have eSHa 2000 fungus finrot and bacteria treatment, eSHa EXIT anti whitespot treatment and some melafix antibacterial fish remedy. what would you recommend, how much and for how long? any other advice on helping them to settle would be much appreciated. many thanks
If at first you don`t succeed go and have another beer.
jonboy8465

Postby Apistogramma » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:35 pm

Certainly I wouldn't add anything to the water except for a good dechlorinator and keep the tank water in excellent condition - the fishes immune system should do the rest assuming it was in good health on collection and you keep up the water quality.
Becky

*Aimlessly drives around in the steam roller with Karena's now fairly blunt scissors...and Lisa's hedge trimmer*

Apistogramma

Postby jonboy8465 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:58 pm

thanks for your reply. what meds would you suggest i have on hand incase anything goes wrong? I know puffers don`t like copper based meds. I`m worried about white spot is the esha med ok?
If at first you don`t succeed go and have another beer.
jonboy8465

Postby Apistogramma » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:05 am

If your water quality is good you shouldn't see whitespot. If you did see signs of it you could treat but if in doubt use half the dose and remember that a healthy fishes immune system will be fighting it off anyway.
Becky

*Aimlessly drives around in the steam roller with Karena's now fairly blunt scissors...and Lisa's hedge trimmer*

Apistogramma

Return to Oddballs and Brackish Fish